V10 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigmatt207

Reaction score
I like your style panda and canadian, thought i was the only one with dreams of putting a 7.3 in my expy. Still a 75% chance of happening....if i ever get the money! :p and Clydesdale, a cummins would be sweet too, 12v 5.9.very..very..sweet.

ZombieSoldier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like an awesome build, while I would rather swap in a 6.0 PSS, this should be an awesome build... I would love to build you an intake, if interested hit me up!

Expyguru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use to want to swap my 5.4 sohc until I realized I can build my motor that will put a v10 to shame even a stock lighting motor. I just built my 5.4 to the limit of natural aspirated motors. Stock block forged internals all Manley. Flat tops with 10.6:1 compression stage 3 port and polished PI heads with comp cams extreme 274s stainless valves. Custom built intake with bbl 75 TB. MAF programmer, ****** headers, electric cooling fans and water pump. Thanks to no emissions in AL no cats just header to turndowns. ( yeah its loud and mean). The thing is im putting 426 hp to the wheels with 467 lbs of torque that's on pump 93 gas. Tuned for 100 octane is another 20.

Don't matter what motor u got just gotta know how to build it.

SourMashII

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I just bought a v10 SuperDuty from work for the axles to put under my 'bourbon.

The v10 actually runs well, and am fantasizing about it in my wifelets expy...

A tuned 10, in front of the ZF... hubba hubba...

Possible to stroke this thing to 427/8/9 cid?

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
So I just bought a v10 SuperDuty from work for the axles to put under my 'bourbon.

The v10 actually runs well, and am fantasizing about it in my wifelets expy...

A tuned 10, in front of the ZF... hubba hubba...

Possible to stroke this thing to 427/8/9 cid?

Short answer.. No

The V10 and the 5.4 which it is based off (+2 cylinders) already have a long stroke vs bore ratio. (undersquare) 4.16 stoke, 3.55 bore

With out going into a lot of detail this basically limits the available valve size due to the smallish bore thus limiting its ability to breath or feed the available displacement.

Longer stroke is good for torque due to the extra leverage on the crank but most "performance" motors have a bore equal to or bigger than the stroke (oversquare) to improve its ability to breath.

You can overbore about .020 over but this would be insignificant. These are thin wall castings so its generally not recommended to go over that.

There are a lot of other mods you could do with the V10 that would improve performance. Increasing its displacement is not recommended as it would be costly and likely counter productive.

Last edited:

SourMashII

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some of the scuttle butt I was reading led me to that, but I took it skeptically, as it had no technical merit.

You sir, do have technical merit points in my book, so will stop there.

Now back to figgering if.... a 6.8 6 spd Expy makes sense...

TexasR.N.

Reaction score
Very interesting swap. We have a 99 F150(320K) and a 03 Expy (185K) on the odometers. Since they are both paid for we have been considering engine replacement options (especially for the F150). Thanks for another idea.
Congrats on the hard work and engine swap.

SourMashII

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To badly paraphrase Bruce Willis, I believe, My career dissipation light had shifted into high gear this last week...... so I un-bought the SuperDuty, and no longer have a v-10 to swap into the Expy.