Vids on YouTube about the 5.4 Triton Make Me Want To Back Out of this Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ski_rush

Reaction score
I was considering buying a 2007 EL. In fact, I told the guy I was going to buy the truck. However, I just watched some videos on Youtube about the 5.4 3v Triton engine (e.g., the Car Wizard)…and now I’m second thinking this purchase. These videos say that this engine is the worst engine ever produced and that they have several significant design flaws that inevitably lead to failure. They go on to say that there is no real “fix”, and that even replacing the cam phasers and timing chain isn’t going to do much. The only “fix” is just replacing the entire engine at a cost of about $6000 installed! That’s more than I was planning on buying the vehicle for.

Even if these guys are stretching things a little, there must be some truth to these videos on YouTube about this engine. Searching on google shows other sites about this problem.

Is this engine truly this bad? The vids make it seem like it’s basically a ticking time bomb and expect to spend $6000 to replace the engine. There are so many of these engines on the road though.

Are we all crazy to consider buying a used ford with this engine? Is the Chevy 5.3 just a more reliable engine?

I was excited about the vehicle at first, but now that I read up on the 5.4 triton, I am extremely nervous to the point that I think I should back out of the deal. I don’t have (or want to spend) $6000 in a year to replace the engine in a vehicle that I just purchased.

If the engine is that bad, how are they clocking 200,000+ miles?

Last edited:

shoro60

Reaction score
For what it is worth, search specifically for anything and there will be an over abundance of results. In my opinion as a former "Ford' hater, I am on my third 5.4 Ford engined vehicle. The first was a 2004 F-150 that ran flawlessly pretty much until my former neighbor totaled (with close to 200K on the odometer) it in a wreck, my second was a 2004 Expedition that I sold to my current neighbor (with close to 200K on the odometer) that he still drives today and now a 2010 Expedition with 192K on the engine with no issues what so ever. Just ensure that the basic maintenance has been done: oil changes, transmission maintained, basic tune up (plugs, etc) and you would be amazed at how long and strong these engines run. Now, we each have our preferences and choices to make; however, don't let other people's overstated horrible experiences cause you to by pass what could be a decent vehicle. My two cents for what its worth.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2011 with 60,000 miles and also had a 2014 which I traded in at 33,000 miles. Both had 5.4 / 3 valve engines and I have not had any engine issues with either. I religiously change oil and filter every 3500 - 4000 miles on all my vehicles and have heard that is a significant factor in the reliability of this engine.

I have a friend who had a 2014 5.4 3 Valve who drove it a lot (over 50,000 miles a year) and only changed his oil every 8,000 or so miles and lost an engine at around 150k.

To me, it would be important to know the maintenance history of the vehicle. For that matter, the same should be true of any used vehicle you consider buying.

The 5.4 3 Valve may have faults, but I will say it is a much better performer in a heavy vehicle like the Expedition than the 5.4 2 valve.

Last edited:

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was considering buying a 2007 EL. In fact, I told the guy I was going to buy the truck. However, I just watched some videos on Youtube about the 5.4 3v Triton engine (e.g., the Car Wizard)…and now I’m second thinking this purchase. These videos say that this engine is the worst engine ever produced and that they have several significant design flaws that inevitably lead to failure. They go on to say that there is no real “fix”, and that even replacing the cam phasers and timing chain isn’t going to do much. The only “fix” is just replacing the entire engine at a cost of about $6000 installed! That’s more than I was planning on buying the vehicle for.

Even if these guys are stretching things a little, there must be some truth to these videos on YouTube about this engine. Searching on google shows other sites about this problem.

Is this engine truly this bad? The vids make it seem like it’s basically a ticking time bomb and expect to spend $6000 to replace the engine. There are so many of these engines on the road though.

Are we all crazy to consider buying a used ford with this engine? Is the Chevy 5.3 just a more reliable engine?

I was excited about the vehicle at first, but now that I read up on the 5.4 triton, I am extremely nervous to the point that I think I should back out of the deal. I don’t have (or want to spend) $6000 in a year to replace the engine in a vehicle that I just purchased.

We had a 2008 that we had to 140k miles and it ran flawlessly. These engines had problems at the beginning but if there maintenence records are in check, they'll last forever.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, there are many examples of engines with problems, and everyone that has issues is very vocal, perhaps making people thing there is an issue. But I am sure there are a lot of us that have had no issues and don’t say anything, you only hear of the engines with issues.. my 2008 expedition has more than 200k miles and has never had an issue and still runs great.. yes this engine has a few issues, but fortunately most of us never experienced them!! Regular oil changes and servicing seems to be the key factor..

Last edited:

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Exactly!

If you wan't to know if it is a good truck, stop looking on the inernet and start looking at the truck itself. That is the only place to get smart answers for what you are looking for.
Not a DIY mechanic? Don't know what to look for? Turn to someone (mechanic/friend) who can go see the truck in person.
Do your homework, Does the vehicle have maintenance records? car fax?

NO ONE can tell you if it is a good truck or not from across the internet.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Car Wizard is trying to get clicks on his lame YouTube channel.

Although of the 3v 5.4 motors, the 2007 is not the year I’d seek out. I’ve been very happy for the 50k+ miles I’ve put on my 2014 (148k total miles).

JimR_TN

Reaction score
I bought a 2007 a few months ago and so far I’m very happy with it. I’ve read everything I could find about the Expedition and 5.4 3V and I’m definitely nervous every time I feel anything, even a bump in the road. Buying a high mileage used car is always a risk. Just make sure the purchase price balances the risk you are taking.

I don’t think the 5.4 3V is a bad engine. But it does have a few failure points that can be expensive and that has soured many people. Others get great longevity out of the same engine.

Expediton2020

Reaction score

It all just depends on how well it’s been maintained. But that can phasers and timing chains and guides are a common issue and the hydraulic lifter tic. But in reality they’re a great engine.