"vista pro" heater core from rock auto, anyone here have any bad/good experience?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ordered the part here for my '97 expedition. they had it for about 1/2 of what the retail stores had it as and the part number even pulls up a couple of their listings for the part that I was quoted for.

I am due to put the part in this upcoming Saturday, weather permitting, but I just wanted whatever input I could get before I got to pulling the dash

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All i am gonna say is buy the nicest heater core you can get so you only have to do it once. Pulling a dash isn't hard, its just really time consuming and there are some tight spaces but its very doable. Also make sure you have the correct quick disconnect coolant line tools. Its damn near impossible to get them off with out it and its only like $5 for a set. As for the part if it has a limited life time you pretty well off but i usually like buying that kind of thing from the store because its easier to get warranty stuff done.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since your replacing the heater core you don't necessarily need the disconnect tool. You can use the "southern redneck quick disconnect" system.....wiggle the hose & pipe up/down - left/right until it snaps off the heater core. Once it is out you have more room to work to release the fitting.

This little time saver was passed on to me by a Ford Master Tech.....

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I cut my "quick" connects off back in November and replaced it with hose clamps. I already have the heater core in question as I didn't get a reply in my other thread. It looks pretty solid save for the pipes being able to swivel in their socket. I fabbed a way to put water under pressure into it and it didn't leak that I saw so all seems well for the $22 heater core.

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well, I got the core out in just under three hours. the core has several pin hole leaks at the top "tank" where it joins to the fins. the new core is a little thinner so we will see how this goes. right now I am stuck, well, the dash is stuck gotta get some hands to help lift it after I fit the core in place.

also, A big thanks to those who recommended I get the blend door too mine was cracked where it meets the actuator shaft