voided warranty due to super chip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cougforester

Reaction score
alright, here's what i'm dealing with. the dealer told me that my 02 expedition has a bad pcm.

it also has an add-on chip to it. that chip voided the pcm 8 yr/80000 mile warranty. i bought the vehicle from a dealer with no knowledge of this warranty voiding chip.

do those "super chips" really void warranties?

what's the chance that the add-on chip is screwed and it's really not the pcm after all?

should they (the dealer i bought it from) have known about this add-on chip?

i'm being told $600 for a new pcm. do you guys think the dealer i bought the vehicle from should pay for the new pcm?:confused:

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Maguson Moss Warranty Act, (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)). If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact EPA at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov. If federal warranty protection is denied, contact the FTC at (202) 326-3128 or www.ftc.gov

Now that's out of the way....

Did the dealership that you purchased the vehicle from disclose the Superchip?

I'm guessing you purchased the vehicle used and usually when used vehicles with aftermarket parts are sold, they usually list aftermarket parts installed (24" wheels, Alpine radio, etc).

My guess is that the chip may be something that the dealership can miss and not list.

I would go back to the dealership that sold you the vehicle and argue with them about it.

The downside is that if the aftermarket part is not listed and that dealership didn't know about it, they could try to stick it to you and say you must have added it after your purchased the vehicle from them.

Good luck.