volant over k&n???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tritonman5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i know you guys are sick of intake convos,but i've be checking out volant CAI kits and the look more functional and money worthy than k&n,as most of you know i have a k&N set up on my expo but i feel like it really isn't doing anything,feel like i have no bottom end help.so just want to know what you guys think i should do?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
go me cuz i'm running the same thing you are...K&N. do you have a programmer...ECS, PowerEdge, Superchips? i have superchips and when i put it on the performance setting...i cant believe the response...its another truck...get one if you do have one and that will solve the bottom end senario

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 get a programmer..... a intake is only gonna give you minimal gains not like a S/C... but I've seen a few Volant kits and I'll stick to my K&N... have had a few on different trucks and loved every one... but look into a good programmer I did weeks of research and bought the EDGE CS... and loved it ever since... or if you want even more look into custom tuned programmers... like the PHP company takes a EDGE and re-writes the tunes and makes them better... only problem is more $$ and longer wait... I couldn't do either... but I did a lot of research at F150online.com they have an entire section on programmers for our motors....

OP
OP
tritonman5.4

tritonman5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
go me cuz i'm running the same thing you are...K&N. do you have a programmer...ECS, PowerEdge, Superchips? i have superchips and when i put it on the performance setting...i cant believe the response...its another truck...get one if you do have one and that will solve the bottom end senario

unfortunately i do not any of those beastly mods except the cai kit and the gibson.i wouldn't even add that much power while still living in the city,i will never enjoy it lol.i will go with the major power upgrades when i move upstate.

OP
OP
tritonman5.4

tritonman5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+1 get a programmer..... a intake is only gonna give you minimal gains not like a S/C... but I've seen a few Volant kits and I'll stick to my K&N... have had a few on different trucks and loved every one... but look into a good programmer I did weeks of research and bought the EDGE CS... and loved it ever since... or if you want even more look into custom tuned programmers... like the PHP company takes a EDGE and re-writes the tunes and makes them better... only problem is more $$ and longer wait... I couldn't do either... but I did a lot of research at F150online.com they have an entire section on programmers for our motors....

sweet deal i will defenetly look into a programmer.im taking it that performance chips really aren't good??but however like i was telling bhsoulja i wont go with the major upgrades until i move upstate

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well good luck in what you decide to do...i might get on f150 forum...see what they're doing to their trucks...

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For these engines, it's pretty much limited to just programmers, since it's all down through the PCM.

Yea, a programmer will wake up the mods you put in. At the very least, it will greatly improve the throttle responce. The problem with the exhaust and intake is that they increase top RPM HP, at the expense of low end torque. Try the programmer before switching to a Volant.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
f150online.com is almost as cool as this site...lol I am a member there too...

But I would not do a "chip" the advantages of say a edge programmer is up to 8 real time gauges reading everything from engine coolant temp in degrees, trans temp, air intake temp, actual volts... and a lot more... but the power for less than 400$ for the CS is well worth it.... or for 500$ the CTS can have a backup camera installed with it...

and how upstate you moving? Just outside of the city or up here by me and Dgray69... both about 30 min from canada...

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FWIW, I gave up on the F150 forum years ago because of the juvenile, "holier than thou" attitudes there. it's extreme off-roading or nothing; less than nothing. if you don't agree with them, you are not worthy of posting on their sacred site.