Want to make sure...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobertNol

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I just check my vin and it says that I do have a 99 winsor, I heard it makes a difference which side the oil fill cap is on and is on the passenger side, and I read that all 99 to 04make 4.6 winsors have PI heads....

So question is, I do have a 1999 mustang motor just different crankshafts correct?

I have a buddy who has a 99 mustang motor that he's getting rid of, its built a little and thinking about swapping some part.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
So I just check my vin and it says that I do have a 99 winsor, I heard it makes a difference which side the oil fill cap is on and is on the passenger side, and I read that all 99 to 04make 4.6 winsors have PI heads....

So question is, I do have a 1999 mustang motor just different crankshafts correct?

I have a buddy who has a 99 mustang motor that he's getting rid of, its built a little and thinking about swapping some part.

Assuming you have a 4.6 the block, crank, rods, pistons and heads should be the same. Not sure but believe the cams and intake are different. The stang is tuned more for upper end hp vs tuned for low end torque for the trucks/expy.

OP
OP
R

RobertNol

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Assuming you have a 4.6 the block, crank, rods, pistons and heads should be the same. Not sure but believe the cams and intake are different. The stang is tuned more for upper end hp vs tuned for low end torque for the trucks/expy.

What all I got from it is the crank is different and the cams(may not be the same, but are compatible) my buddy has a different cam I think he said it was a comp cam.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
What all I got from it is the crank is different and the cams(may not be the same, but are compatible) my buddy has a different cam I think he said it was a comp cam.

Cranks are identical if you have 4.6?! ECU programming will also be different. Been checking a bit and 90% certain the intakes are also different. Expy 4.6 is tuned for low end torque. Mustang 4.6 will be a dog in the expy until you get the rpms up where its making hp so you would also need to retune shift points etc.... Almost twice the weight of a stang. (Expy)

5.4 has a completely different bottom end.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RobertNol

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cranks are identical if you have 4.6?! ECU programming will also be different. Been checking a bit and 90% certain the intakes are also different.

5.4 has a completely different bottom end.

With that being said is it all compatible with each other. Buddies motor has a aftermarket intake also so will the intake and cam out of his fit in my motor?

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
With that being said is it all compatible with each other. Buddies motor has a aftermarket intake also so will the intake and cam out of his fit in my motor?

Yes it should bolt to the heads just fine but.... some modifications may be necessary on the upper end. Believe the throttle body may be configured different. Cams....no problem there.

You really need to check what the intake and cams are tuned for as far as power band. I would venture to say since its designed for the stang it will have a higher power band than a stock stang even. This will be very bad in your expy. You would need high stall converter and modified shift points to take advantage and the tranny may not appreciate it.

Most performance parts for the stang trade off low end torque for upper end hp!!! Unless your talking turbo, blower, nitrous, etc.. :)

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Which comp cams does he have.... I can let you know if it will work or not??

OP
OP
R

RobertNol

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Which comp cams does he have.... I can let you know if it will work or not??

I am not sure.

But id rather spend the money and get something that im going to like. So what would you recommend?

Another question, how much modification would be need to fit a mustang turbo/blower?

and ive asked this before but where and how reliable are used turbos? I've got a budget of 2500k. for now.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Well...if you had 5.4 I would recommend the lightning swap. Its about in that price range depending on how well you can locate the parts.

I would stay away from any stang naturally aspirated mods...they most likely will kill your low end torque which the expy really needs. Not sure what would be required to make a mustang blower fit the expy. Im sure they could be modified to fit but may take some machining and fabricating skills. Different pulley/accessory configuration. Any power adders and you will also need custom tune & fuel system mods.

If you can find someone parting out a wrecked lightning buy the complete drivetrain. :)