warranty cover this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's a pretty slow tick-tick-tick sound that DOESN'T seem to go away, then? About two ticks per second idling I'd say?

Audible with hood up, less audible standing in front of truck, inaudible from cabin...

Temps stable, fresh coolant fresh oil new plugs new coils, no codes

There at the end of the video is Roughly how a normal 5.4 sounds, still ticks after the job. before you’ll notice it is a way heavier tick almost a “knock” if you listen below the truck.

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Well that's not 100 percent accurate on the overhead cam part, true it doesn't have a lifter like a pushrod motor, it uses cam followers, along with oil fed valve lash adjusters, that are similar to regular lifters in the sense that they have to be functioning proper. What happens on a lot of 3 valves is the back cylinders get starved for oil, due to low level, or partial failing oem pump. They seize in their bores, then the noise and performance party starts. Back to earlier, regular maintenance, proper cooling alleviates a lot of these issues.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk
I read people using additives, 10W40 or 20W50 or other wrong weights, destroys the top end and timing chains.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I once recommended a small amount of marvel mystery oil, usually a great product. But the op went overboard on my suggested amount, and his motor went into cardiac arrest! Luckily it was one of his outside sensors that had a mild stroke. This was about a year ago, and a lot of schoolin on these motors. I wouldn't put any thing but good ole 5/w30 oil in these motors. It's like a doctor prescribing something, you never know how your patients gonna react!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score

There at the end of the video is how a normal 5.4 sounds, still ticks after the job. before you’ll notice it is a way heavier tick almost a “knock” if you listen below the truck.

Nope both are still quite atrocious and far worse than mine

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine sounds almost just like the second one. Lots of ticking injectors (you can hear it on the fuel rail with a stethoscope) but mine has a bit more of a “lope” to it. Maybe I need new solenoids.