Water inside doors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
2014 EL.
Opened door and water started dripping at corner.
Goodly amount.
Water is the Enemy!

Investigated a bit and found 2 weep slots under bottom weatherstripping, with plastic inserts. Jiggled the inserts and water started flowing. Pulled insert out & found wet oily goobus behind it, plugging/blocking any natural weeping. Same deal on another (rear) door. NOT GOOD for long term health of door!! water tends to drip out at door corner (by design). I'm sure its impossible to keep water out of door (window seal for example) but it needs to keep moving ... cant freeload here.

I'm pulling all 8 inserts, going to use shop vac to pull all the crudd out ... and will monitor. I see no reason to put those inserts back in. Might be a reason but I can't think of any. Weep holes too small for mice to use as an entry point.

I think the Krown treatment contributed to this situation (theory). Not complaining, but advise if you do Krown (or anyone else who cares) ... check for this to avoid the door being a water collection device.

I do not like rust or corrosion

IMG_0235.JPG
IMG_0237.JPG
IMG_0238.JPG

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If anything I think those inserts might help keep mud from building up and blocking the holes they snap over.

Reminds me of these videos:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Yes, the plugs keep dust and dirt out. In some markets, dust is a big problem.

If it's not a problem where you are, just throw the plugs away. Probably best to leave them there and take a look at them and clean them out every few months.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just had this happen the other day on my 2014 Limited, I swear about 5 gallons came out. Same think happened years ago with my 2009. After leaving the plastic things out, no more issues.

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
..... Probably best to leave them there and take a look at them and clean them out every few months.
My exact thoughts.

I pulled all 8, 4 on the 2014 & 4 on the 2003. The 2003 didnt have any crud behind plastic inserts, so didnt hold any water inside door.

Plan to put back in and monitor

Also going to shop vac the window seal, can see tree duff collecting in there

Gamecock

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just had this happen the other day on my 2014 Limited, I swear about 5 gallons came out. Same think happened years ago with my 2009. After leaving the plastic things out, no more issues.

Same here. The vehicle must have been sitting just right because I never had that issue before. I could hear it sloshing when I opened the door. Pulled the rubber plug (saved it) and it all ran out.

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Getting water out is a good thing but how to stop water entering in the first place? All four doors on my 2008 has a sixteenth inch gap at bottom of window outside rubber. How do I close that gap by forcing rubber against glass. That should at least slow water entry if not stop it.

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
Getting water out is a good thing but how to stop water entering in the first place? All four doors on my 2008 has a sixteenth inch gap at bottom of window outside rubber. How do I close that gap by forcing rubber against glass. That should at least slow water entry if not stop it.
I'm thinking its like some parts of roofing or flashing house exterior. You just want water to fall and pass on through. Sometimes (in exterior work) caulking can cause problems. I don't think its possible to stop water coming in at the window. Just my opinion.

Where is the 1/16" gap? On all 8 of my windows theres a top -- hard plastic "shield" with a small gap & below that a soft rubber squeegee up against window with zero gap. Its at a small angle wrt window to maintain contact. All the water that gets in between those two parts … has to flow downward?

gap.jpg

Last edited:

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry it has been so long to reply. Life happens.

Your picture is right on. The hard rubber and then the wiper strip. Is that wiper strip adjustable is my question.

Now, my 08 expedition XL had a hard rubber at the bottom of door windows there is a big gap there between glass and rubber. Water is forced, allowed, to run inside door there.

Below and inside the hard rubber is a softer, flexible, felt covered strip that is to touch the glass. I think it is to act as a wiper, but it doesn't. When outside window is wet and I operate window it should wipe water from glass, but it doesn't.

If I could get the wiper strip to touch glass it might limit how much water enters doors. That might have helped control moisture inside doors that rust cables, motors slides.

When I had to replace the drive for the driver side window lifting mechanism I did not see any adjustment for the track but then I am not a mechanic. Maybe someone knows if there are adjustments of if making sure water drains as fast as possible is the only answer.