Driver's Side Rear Door Will Not Open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OCJoeR

Reaction score
I've searched and read the other threads on this matter and haven't found one with a solution. I'm buying a '06 King Ranch with this problem. As best I can see from the posts and videos I've also watched there are 5 attachment points for the panel. Two on the bottom edge, 2 under a little pull out panel on the side and one on the inside edge of the rear of door. The problem is with the door closed I don't see a way to get to that last screw, the one on the inside edge of the door. I've read some of the threads where it was recommended to pull and push on the interior door lock rod until it tripped the opening mechanism so I'll try that once I have the truck. As best I can tell a slim jim isn't going to work. I'm wondering if there's a way to reach the child lock lever from the inside with the door shut. From one of the videos I've watched it appears to be a small lever that I might be able to move with a thin screwdriver if I can get it between the door and the door sill. I'll also try that once I get it home.

If anyone has any other suggestions or recommendations please let me know.

Joe

OP
OP
O

OCJoeR

Reaction score
OK, so harking back to my misspent youth in the mean streets of Jersey, I decided to see if I could commit a reverse B&E from the inside of the truck. Two minutes in the garage with a pair of pliers and a length of 3/4" flat stock and I was able to make a rod to push down on the child proof door lock gizmo. Ta Da, the door now opens from the inside. It still won't open from the outside so I guess I'm going to have to open it up and see what is missing, bent, disconnected or just not working. But at least now I can get it open.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are other threads here on this subject as well. Search box top right of any page of this forum is a excellent tool.

Welcome to the forum

OP
OP
O

OCJoeR

Reaction score
Hey there Yupster,

I've searched but they all seem to stop before actually getting to the solution. I'm sure it's a pin that has come out of a rod or a disconnected rod in there some where. It's getting detailed today and I have to go get new tires tomorrow afternoon so hopefully I'll have time to take the panel off before that. There's no resistance when I pull the outside handle so I'm sure that's it. I'll try and take photos and post the solution.

I put in a photo of the handy dandy gizmo I made to trip the child safety lever with the door closed.

Joe

Attachments

• Door Child Proof Tool.jpg
    Door Child Proof Tool.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 3

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll try and take photos and post the solution.
That would be great!
Just FYI: If you want someone to get an alert, you can quote the post like I just did above.
Or you can mention them by putting the @ symbol in front of their members name.(soon as you start a dropdown list pops up)
@OCJoeR
Looking forward to the conclusion and hope its an easy one.

OP
OP
O

OCJoeR

Reaction score
I took the door panel off and removed all the other parts that were in the way and was able to find out what the problem was with the outside handle. The plastic part that clamps around the rod that moves the lock and goes through the hole in the outside door handle was not there. I found it inside the door. It looks like it's supposed to have a pair of little ears that clip into the hold in the handle that are broken off. I'm not sure if the Ford dealer would have this part but I'm going to take a run over to the local one, just a mile or 2 away.

Here's what the parts look like: Rear Drivers Door Lock Part 3.JPGRear Drivers Door Lock Part 1.JPGRear Drivers Door Lock Part 2.JPGRear Drivers Door Lock Part 5.JPGRear Drivers Door Lock Part 4.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

OCJoeR

Reaction score
I found the part at my local Ford dealership parts dept., they had 1 left. They are built a lot sturdier than the old one. Instead of those 2 little pins that went through the hold in the handle it's a piece the full size of the circle with 2 tabs on either side that now goes through the hole in the handle. It's all put back together and I now have 4 doors on my Expedition. Now I just have to get 4 new tires and then recondition the seats.

Joe