Water Leaking at Grab Handle. HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Front or second row?

Have the windshield replaced recently?

Is the weatherstrip that is mounted to the body, secure and tight?

Any modifications recently?

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you do not have the sunroof option, check the grooves in the roof near the windshield. Mine are rusty and they are known for leaking.

Check and clean the weatherstripping around the drivers door, particularly near the windshield. If it gets full of dirt it won't seal. Also if it gets folded in it may not seal. You'll see what I mean if you take a look by the windshield it's a different setup than normal door weatherstripping. Is there any reason the door would be tweaked out? Check the gap between door and body for uniformity.

OP
OP
T

Tony@MTVA

Reaction score
It is the front driver side grab handle. The seals around door look ok. I do have sunroof but does not appear to be leaking as the catch pan is dry and dusty and no evidence of water on the headliner. The water is obviously coming from inside of the A pillar and leaking where the grab handle bolts into it but I cannot figure out how the water is getting in there. If it was a windshield seal I am not understanding how the water is getting on the inside of the A pillar? It is the original windshield and no modifications to anything in the area of the vehicle.

k_aimone

Reaction score
I would pull the interior trim off and run it threw a car wash to see where the water is coming in from

OP
OP
T

Tony@MTVA

Reaction score
Thanks. I will try that. We have had a little rain here over the last couple of days and more on the way. I actually plugged the top roof rib with plumbers putty where it goes under the top rubber trim on the windshield. So far it has not leaked but we have not had a hard rain. It seems odd that the roof rib channel would be designed to run under the top
rubber windshield seal??

Trumposarus

Reaction score
The drain tube for the sunroof runs behind the grab handle plastic. That hose most likely has a leak.

D-Cole

Reaction score
remove the grab handle, visor, and the rubber door trim. Then carefully pull down the headliner. You can inspect the drain tube connection. Then have someone pour water down the drain tube. It should drain freely behind front tire well. Be careful around the side airbag in the headliner and don't pull too hard on headliner as it will break.

I attempted to attach a pic from when I did my passenger side:

http://www.expeditionforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11120&stc=1&d=1443525758

Attachments

• headliner.jpg
    headliner.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 518
OP
OP
T

Tony@MTVA

Reaction score
Thanks, this and the picture will be very helpful. Maybe after I pull the headliner I can see what is going on. I don't understand if the drain line is clogged or if the drain line has come loose from the drain pan how water is getting from the drain pan to the A pillar and leaking at the grab handle. It would seem if either of the above has happened I would have a wet headliner between the corner of the pan and the A pillar post? Any idea on how this could be happening.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357