Ways to add MPG in a $$$ Gas Price Economy!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would that same argument conversely apply to an aerodynamic electric vehicle driving faster? If you can drive 100mph and only consume an additional 20% kWh, and get that from solar panels, energy consumption is irellavant?

As an aside, on average only 2% of the power going into those batteries comes from panels in the US (the solar leader in the world)....unless it's charged at night...then, it's almost zero....The facts are that wind and solar power combined is just 5% of grid output away from being a myth and virtually not a factor during night time charging. In Terawatts the small amount of Russian oil that we imported in 2021 was greater than the energy output of all panels and propellers in the US combined (434 Twh vs. 410 Twh). Just saying.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As an aside with regards to speed (slowing down) you really start moving to a reducto-absurdium argument: if 55 is better, why not 45? Or 35? Or walking?

Not exactly... If the topic is improving miles per gallon, there are curves that identify how to maximize the miles per gallon, distance, and the speed at which to achieve it. Walking doesn't improve miles per gallon, although it would be better for your pocket as walking is typically free.

Using your RAA logic, if you did 1mph your gas mileage (mpg) would be lower than doing 55mph. The reason is a combination of engine idol gas usage, drivetrain gearing, and time. Conversely doing 120 mph, you now have swapped variables to engine power needed to maintain the speed with air resistance, that power needs to burn more fuel. You burn dramatically more fuel over the same distance, at a faster rate. This all assumes no cars on the road.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not exactly... If the topic is improving miles per gallon, there are curves that identify how to maximize the miles per gallon, distance, and the speed at which to achieve it. Walking doesn't improve miles per gallon, although it would be better for your pocket as walking is typically free.

Using your RAA logic, if you did 1mph your gas mileage (mpg) would be lower than doing 55mph. The reason is a combination of engine idol gas usage, drivetrain gearing, and time. Conversely doing 120 mph, you now have swapped variables to engine power needed to maintain the speed with air resistance, that power needs to burn more fuel. You burn dramatically more fuel over the same distance, at a faster rate. This all assumes no cars on the road.
Oh, don't get me wrong..I agree.

However, there are a lot more variables involved, and depending on the objective. Obviously, the situation is: I have this big thirsty vehicle, how do I limit gas usage, or more specifically - put the cost of operating it back in the region of where I'm comfortable? People do start doing irrational (for the most part) things like purchasing a new, more economical, car when gas prices rise, as the sole reason. I think a worse solution is that people do slow down (hypermilers!) to the point that it becomes very annoying to other road users, at best, and often a danger.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh, don't get me wrong..I agree.

However, there are a lot more variables involved, and depending on the objective. Obviously, the situation is: I have this big thirsty vehicle, how do I limit gas usage, or more specifically - put the cost of operating it back in the region of where I'm comfortable? People do start doing irrational (for the most part) things like purchasing a new, more economical, car when gas prices rise, as the sole reason. I think a worse solution is that people do slow down (hypermilers!) to the point that it becomes very annoying to other road users, at best, and often a danger.

Fully agree!

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's helping me out is the Drive Safe and Save monitor from State Farm in my vehicle. It judges you on acceleration..braking..speed and even talking on the phone. Savings were almost $200 for 6 months on my premium and I'm sure its saving me money at the pump. Retired so I'm not in a big hurry so I usually run at posted speed limits or adjust for weather or traffic conditions. I've always kept my vehicles in top condition but the biggest savings can be your right foot and common sense. My previous vehicle was a '17 F350 Lariat dually that I daily drove for 4-1/2 yrs. Got 16 mpg around town and 17 hwy. 9 to 10 mpg towing the 41' 5th wheel we had until Hurricane Ida totaled it. Glad I don't have to buy diesel anymore!!

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Man, the color coordination looks fantastic on that setup!

Thanks..the truck was White Gold when I bought it and added the Caribou lower trim when we bought the camper. Wifes idea and she nailed it. When the camper was totaled in 150+ hurricane winds I sold the truck for what I paid for it 4-/2 yrs prior. Went looking for a F150 and that was almost impossible so we ended up with the FX4 Expedition they had on the lot. They came off the sticker a good bit so all I had to do was come up with a few grand for taxes. No note is nice! When we get our house finished from storm repairs we may end up with a travel trailer in the 7K pound range. Expedition has the max tow and rated for 9,200 lbs but I want to keep it 2K pounds under. We had a '15 Keystone Fuzion toyhauler for over 3 yrs before the Grand Design Solitude that had way more living area. Still sick about losing it in the storm.

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Truck when it was White Gold only. '15 Fuzion toyhauler we had. Glad I'm not having to buy diesel with the crazy prices posted now. Got 9 to 10 mpg towing depending on conditions and truck had a 48 gallon tank.

natchitoches 2017 001.JPG

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
NGK P/N

95605​

Thanks. Napa auto parts’ website insists this won’t fit the expedition so I’ll ask a mechanic here before trying the install. I e never done spark plugs before.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni