How to optimize MPG - thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The tire pressure is too high at 50 unless actively towing. I know because I tow and left the pressure high in between trips. The center of tread is wearing faster than the edges, handling was worse, and the ride quality suffered.

Accelerate slowly
Coast and avoid stop and go as much as possible
Keep the revs down
Keep the speed down

I'm switching to EVs for my other cars to offset gas and maintenance on Expedition.

OP
OP
C

Charlie Lohr

Reaction score
Thank you for all the replys. To follow up on the tire pressure, I am running E rated tires. It was strange that my gas mileage didn't drop with the heavier tires (it was already low and I am sure the tow package gear ratio helps at lower speeds). I am taking it into the dealer for some other warranty work so I am going to have them run some test and see what they come up with. Also I know I bought a heavy full size SUV and not a hybrid but that doesn't mean you can try to optimize gas mileage to min. the overall impact of the vehicle. Also, similar to JasonH, I am buying an EV for the commuter car.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is a different take on driving style. I have a buddy that has had the EcoBoost’s since the beginning and is now in the new 10 speed F-150. He swears by this and I have found it to work pretty good as well. He says use the Boost part to get the truck up to speed. You don’t have to hammer down and drive like a A-hole, but get on it. No easy soft acceleration. Get to speed quickly. If you watch the boost gauge even slowly accelerating raises the boost gauge which equals poor fuel mileage. Once to speed back out and let the the Eco part keep it at speed. I have 35” E tires and a safari rack. Tow package in a Max and live in Utah where there is not much flat driving. I get 19 MPH average highway and 15-16 MPH city driving this way. Not the best, but if I lug it around it gets 13 city and 16 highway. I do run premium. Same with my F-150 with the 6 speed Eco. 6 speed pickup vs 10 speed SUV MPG is almost identical. Truck does have 3:55’s. Kinda like the 6 speed better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is a different take on driving style. I have a buddy that has had the EcoBoost’s since the beginning and is now in the new 10 speed F-150. He swears by this and I have found it to work pretty good as well. He says use the Boost part to get the truck up to speed. You don’t have to hammer down and drive like a A-hole, but get on it. No easy soft acceleration. Get to speed quickly. If you watch the boost gauge even slowly accelerating raises the boost gauge which equals poor fuel mileage. Once to speed back out and let the the Eco part keep it at speed. I have 35” E tires and a safari rack. Tow package in a Max and live in Utah where there is not much flat driving. I get 19 MPH average highway and 15-16 MPH city driving this way. Not the best, but if I lug it around it gets 13 city and 16 highway. I do run premium.

This is exactly what I do! Excellent advice.

Get yourself moving up to Speed pretty fast (no hammering down) then drive off boost till the next red light. Basically the engine will be Almost idling at 1000 - 1200 rpm on 40-50 mph. With this I get 17-18 mpg in city driving.

I also go slightly above the speed limit to get a higher gear then slow down to the limit and the transmission usually holds the higher gear.

Without these tricks I get 14-15 mpg

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I average around 16 mpg city and 18 mixed. Just took a 500 miles road trip, cruised at 75 mph and I got 22 mpg. Pretty impressive for this truck. It has the same mpg as my 2010 MDX with premium gas.

David Kuchler

Reaction score
Post is alittle old to be responding but maybe you are still watching and wondering.
All vehicles, to optimize fuel economy.
paying attention far beyond the car in front of you
never accelerate more than the max speed to be achieved, meaning when you hit the freeway slowly pushing gas pedal down, to point that will end in the speed you hope to achieve
I use cruise control from in 30 mph speed zones all the way to freeway driving, using coast and accel when required to minimize any use of gas pedal, I can drive from reno nv to san fransisco ca, 240 miles, never touching gas or brake, best case
coming off freeway, I click cruise off, 1/4 to 1/2 mile prior to offramp, and coast to a stop, never using brake when ever possible, every second coasting counts
maintain tire pressures, regular oil changes with recommended oil, synthetic or regular oil
I find so much peace in driving my own race daily, never finding myself in that mass of cars going to and from my destinations, very relaxing, and yes occasionally you have those drivers literally pushing you along (tail gater) I don't car every mile I drive im putting money in my pocket
last, I will at times literally turn my vehicle off on those 4 minute lights around town, idling kills mileage on average 1/10 every minute
Coast Coast Coast, will save you huge on brake jobs as well
Cruise control whenever possible, consistency is everything
accelerate, no more than required with a gentle touch, theres another light in a 1000 ft anyway 9 times out of ten

Nautique220

Reaction score
‘19 Platinum 4x4 with tow package here...850 miles on the odometer. My wife mostly drives city and we are averaging less than 14MPG. My 2017 Tahoe averaged 16.5MPG.

Hoping to get up to the same when the engine breaks in.

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With 6500 miles on my Platinum with the tow package I'm getting 19-20, except when I'm pulling a 6,600 lb Airstream, then it's 9-10.

This is better by a few mpg than my Hemi Durango did. But the Hemi got 10-12 towing. I'm still way ahead of the game as towing is only 20% of my driving.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2019 XLT w/Tow Package (non max). With the factory tires I was getting 14.7 MPG combine highway/city. I have since put on 275/70/18 (which look awesome BTW and fit stock on factory rims with no rubbing) and I am still getting around 14.7. I give the back story to say the tires didn’t have a hug impact but I knew that wouldn’t help.

What I would like to know is what can be done to optimize my gas mileage so I am getting the best distance for my buck. Below is my initial thoughts but would love to know others thoughts as well.

-premium full (one test tank MPG was 16.5 but driving conditions where favorable)
-Eco mode (I typically use it)
-synthetic oil??
-Good tire pressure (running at 50 psi now)
-others??

You need to break the engine in. Once the break in period is reached, your mpg will increase dramatically. I went from barely getting 20mpg hwy to doin 23+ on the hwy at 70ish mph. Im avg about 18 lifetime wchich is pretty good as spirt gets addicting sometimes.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to break the engine in. Once the break in period is reached, your mpg will increase dramatically. I went from barely getting 20mpg hwy to doin 23+ on the hwy at 70ish mph. Im avg about 18 lifetime wchich is pretty good as spirt gets addicting sometimes.

At what mileage number is that at? I just turned 3K and haven’t seen any improvement. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk