WDH and capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg Coleman

Reaction score
I copied this over from a thread in the 3rd Gen Forum:
I have a '16 Limited with heavy tow package. I'm shopping for an open car hauler that with the car, will be around 5000 lbs. Total payload of 1240. (4 people X 160 Avg = 640 + 600lbs of tongue weight= 1240 with 1357 payload on the sticker.) Most of the time just 2 people, which leaves me room for 300+lbs of cooler, canopy, chairs, etc.. I've got a Curt WDH that I'm going to go through the whole set-up process with (at a public scale) once I get a trailer.
Two questions:
- A LOT of the trailers I have looked at have either a tongue jack cross member, or the e-brake battery, or SOMETHING right where the brackets for the weight bars should mount!! Have you guys run into this, and what did you do about it?

-I've had more than one guy tell me I don't need a WDH for this set-up. Maybe not on the pool table that is S.E. Michigan, but I plan on some trips through the Smokies and Appalachians.

All inputs appreciated.

Snidley53

Reaction score
I tow a travel trailer that fully loaded weighs just over 6000# and I wouldn't personally be comfortable towing it without a WDH. Sorry, I am unable to answer your other questions.

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tow a travel trailer that fully loaded weighs just over 6000# and I wouldn't personally be comfortable towing it without a WDH. Sorry, I am unable to answer your other questions.

^ This, I would not tow without a WDH at that weight. My e brake bracket is close to my WDH mounts, but I got by as is. I would relocate to use my WDH if I had to.