Weak defroster and mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

espritv8

Reaction score
Hi,

Pretty cold outside here in the mid 25's.

My defroster button lights up, but rear window is taking forever to defrost and heated mirrors are also pretty weak.

I'm assuming it's not a blown fuse because it's working. So where should I start looking for this issue?

Thanks

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Test for 12v power on the back window and make sure it’s a solid 12v or 14v running. Unplug one side and put the multimeter in line from the plug and window and read the amperage - i think it should be about or above 5amps. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

espritv8

Reaction score
Test for 12v power on the back window and make sure it’s a solid 12v or 14v running. Unplug one side and put the multimeter in line from the plug and window and read the amperage - i think it should be about or above 5amps. Hope that helps

Thanks.
Finally the rear gris seems broken. Only a few lines are working. I'll use repair paint to fix it.

For the front mirrors, passenger side works well, but the driver's does not.
Voltage and amps values are the same. So I'm assuming the element in the driver's mirror doesn't properly work. I'll change it out to see if it makes a difference.

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok. And just an fyi if you are using a Haynes manual the wiring diagrams are incorrect for expeditions newer than 2015

Jeremygsu

Reaction score
2015 XLT here. My rear window defrosts the fastest followed by my passenger mirror and then drivers. IMO the mirror heaters are weak to the point I've considered just using a towel to wipe them prior to driving rather than waiting.