Weekend fun - front suspension work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To say the least, the wear pattern looks a little uneven on my MIL's 2005 expedition front tires...

B1kM3CH.jpg

So I've got plans for tonight and tomorrow to change out the upper control arm, lower ball joints, tie rod ends and sway bar links for good measure. The worst part is, she lives 1 mile down a gravel road so everything is dirty and threads are rusty..

bMksPtl.jpg

I had an hour last night, started on the drivers side and already the tie rod end nut got stuck. I've broken 2x 10mm sockets so far (one craftsman deep 3/8, one husky standard depth 1/4) and then stripped the anti-spin bolt head with an open ended wrench. The 1/4" husky 10mm breaking was my fault, but the 3/8 craftsman surprised me a bit. Today I can use air tools and if that doesn't work I'll either break out the red torch or cut the darn thing off.

Plati

Reaction score
Wow. Never seen tires like that. Hope you nail it. I think you said all 4 tires were like that? Is that from tire rotation?

OP
OP
Bain64

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow. Never seen tires like that. Hope you nail it. I think you said all 4 tires were like that? Is that from tire rotation?
Just the front, and much worse on drivers side.

Plati

Reaction score
Just the front, and much worse on drivers side.
So, after you install the new parts .... alignment ?
Then new tires

best stock size tires i've tried are Falken Wildpeak AT3W
I like the LT version for 18/32" tread

OP
OP
Bain64

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF PB BLASTER. SOME HEAT TO LOOSEN THINGS UP TOO MIGHT HELP.
I liberally used the mopar penetrant yesterday, hoping it has softened things up over night. I should've power washed under it first, i'm fighting trying to clean off the dirt/gravel on top of the rust.

So, after you install the new parts .... alignment ?
Then new tires

best stock size tires i've tried are Falken Wildpeak AT3W
I like the LT version for 18/32" tread
Yes, tires and alignment for sure! She has some offbrand I've never heard of on now, I'll snap a picture later. I'll pass along the tire recommendation.

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ive had two sets of those moog sway bar links, both lasted less than 5000 miles. just a heads up. that's just normal city driving no t much off road.

OP
OP
Bain64

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ive had two sets of those moog sway bar links, both lasted less than 5000 miles. just a heads up. that's just normal city driving no t much off road.
Bummer... they worked out great on my old Dakota.. heading out to the garage now, got the compressor primed and air gun ready to go

OP
OP
Bain64

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've just about got it wrapped up. I only had to break out the torch twice. The tie rod adjusting nut on the drivers side is stuck for now, but I was running out of steam by 11pm last night. The passesnger side is buttoned up, and once I break the adjusting nut free on the drivers side I can put it all back together.

Anyone heard of the tire, Grantland Milestar ?? Any guess on who makes these generics?
nAXSBtG.jpg

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tire sounds like on of the many Asian brands flooding the market. Be sure your turning the lock nut on tie rod the proper direction. Just check the new one for rotation direction. I've had good luck with Moog parts, but always install their premium stuff, every company makes an economy version, I'd stay clear of those. Your new parts should have grease fittings, be sure to lube them for mama in law , every 5k. Makes them last way longer.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk