Weird engine when coming to a stop.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Cruz

Reaction score
Hello,

issue: Weird engine rev when coming to a stop. *

First time 2011 Ford Expedition owner and really proud of it, but just to give you all a little perspective I come from a Toyota Prius so this is a whole new world for me but I am enjoying it.

That being said I am having an issue but it is not all the time. When I am coming to a stop, especially under 5 miles per hour the engine suddenly revs from 500 RPM to 750-1000 RPM. It's not much but I definitely feel its not right. I have had no codes. It doesn't always do it which makes it even more strange and I have a feeling but I can confirm that when the gas tank goes under 1/4 it does it more frequently.

I will attach a video and hopefully, this will explain this a little bit more. I'm just afraid to take this to a mechanic and be overcharged for something that I could do myself. You will be able to see what I am saying around the 40th second. Sorry about my daughter coughing.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It appears to be your transmission down shifting as you slow down. Each time it shifts to a lower gear, the engine rpm will go up.

Do you feel any deceleration when the rpms jump up?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both of my 2007s have revved slightly between gears when slowing down, it’s the transmission downshifting. The only time mine didn’t do that was when the torque converter clutch was stuck off due to other problems.

OP
OP
D

David Cruz

Reaction score
No, this happens only when I am under 5 MPH. You cannot hear it here but I can definitely hear the engine slight roar as the rpm goes up.

Any thoughts?

OP
OP
D

David Cruz

Reaction score
It just feels too harsh for a stop and it does not happen at every stop. Could any sensor be causing this error? Or you think this issue comes directly from the transmission?

OP
OP
D

David Cruz

Reaction score
Here is another sample. The first time around comes to a perfect stop. Second time at minute 1:00 engine revs under 5mph.

THoughts?

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Normal. The transmission can be a little jerky when coming to a stop and the more gentle the stop the more noticeable it is. I was concerned about it when I first got my truck also, but here I am at 157K and everything is running well.