Weird issue in bitter cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so, I was driving down from Lethbridge, AB back to Salt Lake City, UT for Christmas, and it got really cold in Montana.

20FA8E0F-62CF-4A5A-9013-911FE6874E27.jpeg

That’s about -28°F for all you Americans.

Anyway, I was chugging along just fine when I heard a strange noise from the front end, it might have even been road noise, it was so faint, but it could have been the IWEs. I heard a faint clunk, almost like the IWEs make sometimes when selecting 4A (something I had been doing frequently with as bad as the roads were in some spots) and the noise stopped. I thought nothing of it until about 20 seconds later when I heard a chime, the parking brake symbol lit up, and the display read “CHECK BRAKE SYSTEM.”

This is not something you want to read at 3am in the Montana mountains when it’s -34°C outside and you’re rolling down I-15 at 75mph.

I braked to cancel cruise control, and see if I had any brakes at all. I did, but I clearly had no assist at all, as it was very difficult. I put on my hazard lights (for no reason, there was no one for miles) and started looking for a place where I could safely pull over. Just as quickly as it appeared, though, the light went out, and the message disappeared.

I braked again, harder this time (much to the chagrin of my sleeping passengers) and I had regained some assist. I toggled 4A and 4H and they worked fine. All seemed well, so I pressed on to the next exit.

Once safely off the freeway I popped the hood and checked, the brake fluid was nearly at MAX (both sets of brakes are new within the last 10k km) and none of the rotors were scored or damaged at all (no evidence of rubbing or heat damage.)

This was all Sunday morning, and we finished the 6 more hours of driving just fine (after a brief nap with the engine idling because it was SO cold) and we’ve driven all this week with no issues.

My theory is between the ridiculous cold and temperature swings (it would go from -34 to -18 or so in just a couple of minutes in some spots) and the altitude changes, the truck didn’t maintain proper vacuum for a few seconds there causing the brake booster to fail briefly and the IWEs to lock without being commanded.

Does anyone else have any ideas??

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, that is a puzzler and must have been alarming given the conditions outside!

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would ten dot agree with your theory. In that kind of cold, even a tiny amount of moisture in the air could cause icing in the vacuum lines, much like an aircraft carburetor can ice up. The ice could restrict the air flow or stop it altogether. It might be that when there was enough engine heat for the thermostat to open a bit, that was enough warmth to let it start to thaw.

Plati

Reaction score
No idea what that was ... but that's why I have a full compliment of cold weather gear with me on a voyage like that. I even have a 12V heating pad I can plug in and put by my feet in my super warm sleeping bag.

If it is THAT cold, I only travel during the day. Just me.

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ice in the vacuum plumbing sounds about right to me, too. Especially in the line feeding the booster.

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
This is not something you want to read at 3am in the Montana mountains when it’s -34°C outside and you’re rolling down I-15 at 75mph.

That is for sure. Very interesting to read this. And most importantly, glad it turned out to be a temporary and non critical issue.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad your problem was only temporary. That would be very disheartening to be in that situation knowing your brakes weren't working to full capacity.

@Polarizer makes a good point about having a good compliment of cold weather gear. I have extra knit caps, blankets and backpack with survival gear with water and food bars I even have an oil lamp that can provide heat and light if needed.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some brake fluids depending on content are apparently only rated for ~ -30°