Weird noises coming from Drivers rear tire. Can you identify?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Jeff

Reaction score
This has me boggled... So I am hoping the good folks at expedition forum can help diagnose.

The happens completely randomly while driving. Sounds like the driver rear wheel. Took the caliper and rotor off and inspected the ebrake pads. Everything looked normal. I just replaced the brakes pads and rotos on all 4, but not the ebrake pads

Sometimes it happens on a straight line 10-40mph. Sometimes on a slight turn. I can't replicate it it all.

What do you think this sound is???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj3DrZu6AZU

Excuse the wind noise. I was holding my phone out the window to try to capture it.

stuck caliper, stuck e brake pads??? It happens while driving out of nowhere. I cannot replicate it, it just happens randomly.

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's the year and mileage on the truck? I had something similar and it turned out the old brake tensioner on the caliper was loose and would intermittently scratch the inside of the rim. Sound was exactly the same. If you didn't replace the brake hardware when you did your brakes that would be the first thing I would check.

OP
OP
B

Big Jeff

Reaction score
2005 Expo with about 114k on it. Brake hardware was replaced but doesn't mean I can't start looking there. The tensioner is really weird to put on... Thanks.

OP
OP
B

Big Jeff

Reaction score
A little update, I took the rear wheel apart to redo the ebrake springs etc. Screwed the star bolt so that the ebrake wasn't touching the drum. Took it for a ride... Same sound.

Now upon inspection you can take the hub assembly and press at 12 o'clock and it moves I bet at least an 1/8" or better. Looking at the back of the hub near the ebrake assembly there is old grease, like it was leaking out. Looks like thats the part I am going to replace. I just don't want to throw darts and replace parts. So I am glad a couple of you guys were able to also say wheel hub assembly. I have never heard a hub assembly do that. Usually they start whining or groaning and when its bad you replace. Never that clicking sound.

OP
OP
B

Big Jeff

Reaction score
Another update. It was the rear wheel bearing was making that noise. Never in my life have I ever heard a wheel bearing pop like that. I've heard them groan, and get louder plenty of times before. When I free'd it, the rear bearing dust shield just fell out exposing the rusted bearing. So no more mystery.

Thanks everyone who helped!