weird problem recharging AC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I tried to recharge my AC today (first time ever). I found the fill port on the receiver/dryer and felt pretty smug about it, so I attempted to connect the quickconnect hose with the refrigerant bottle attached (engine off) and it will NOT catch. It's the right size, it just simply will not attach securely to the port. The refrigerant bottle is Id Quest from Target.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

OP
OP
P

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you pulling the lock ring on the coupler back then releasing once it is on the port?

Yes, of course. it just simply will not engage. It's as if it will not get in the port far enough. However, i'm pushing it so far I can actually hear the gas escaping...

Last edited:

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the little black cap that was on the port, it has an o-ring, it didn't happen to be stuck to the port then lodged into the charge can did it?

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you sure you have the right port? Once you have the hood open, the visible port you see between the battery and passenger headlight is the high port. The low port is hidden from sight and can only be reached by hand

here is a pic from an F150 but describes what I mean
ac2.jpg

let me know if this doesnt make sense I can take a pic of mine

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you sure you have the right port? Once you have the hood open, the visible port you see between the battery and passenger headlight is the high port. The low port is hidden from sight and can only be reached by hand

here is a pic from an F150 but describes what I mean
ac2.jpg

let me know if this doesnt make sense I can take a pic of mine

That's the one with a black cap on it (mine doesn't have it) facing toward engine block at 45 degs from the AC line going into the receiver/dryer.
Is it possible the quick-connect is busted or defective?

OP
OP
P

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, update - the recharge quick-connect is simply too weak to engage properly. I had to keep pushing with my hand to recharge, but it worked in the end.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We're you just recharging it because it was low or empty? Do you know how many ounces to service it to? Did you have a high and/or low pressure gauge attached?

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani