weird symptoms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wcm7823

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my 03 5.4l expy started acting real sluggish, not wanting to rev, acting like it had bad gas. cel came on, got it read #6 cylinder misfire. and its not a gradual thing. parked it wednesday night running fine started acting like crap thursday taking the kids to school.

i just replaced a coil on number #1 cylinder last month and the only symptom i had for that was a slight bump in the vehicle going up hill.

could it only be a bad coil?

B

bedrck46

Could be, and also could be a bad boot or connector or even injector or its connector When was all plugs changed?

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have a dead miss (usually required for the CEL to come on) you would get some serious hesitation since the motor is only running on 7 cylinders with each cycle. Does the motor feel like its shaking when idling? My guess is that it is a plug/coil issue. If the answer to bedrck46's plug question is "they have never been changed" then you probably will see them go one-by-one like they are now until they are all replaced. They tend to wear out around the same mileage, and 140k on original plugs is a lot.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
why did you change the #1 cop? Whens the last time the spark plugs were changed? What faults are you getting if any?

You can replace or swap the #6 spark plug and swap the cop with #5 or whatever is easiest to see if the problem moves or if it was just the plug.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wcm7823

wcm7823

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i changed the #1 a couple of months ago because we would get a "bump" in a high gear going up hill. thought it was a transmission issue but finally cel came on and indicated misfire on #1. replaced it and everything was perfect. the engine ran fine until a load was put on it. thats why im not as sure about this coil as i was about the first one..

this time its hesitating real bad, rough idle, i can see the engine kinda shaking at idle. almost like bad gas.

i am away for work but plan on working on it next weekend. ill keep ya informed

whipper

Reaction score
my 03 5.4 doing the same thing. Going to replace the coils and plugs together and see what happens next week.