Well, that explains a lot…. Get a carfax

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mkbruin

Reaction score
This.

No matter the size, every dealer should provide a CarFax and many do by default. Sometimes you have to ask for one, which is understandable for small shops, as they do cost money.

CarFax is the de facto standard, but AutoCheck from Experian is number two on the list. (Yes, the credit rating bureau) Ask for both or if they only give you one, pay the fee and run a report yourself.

If any dealer or private seller hesitates on providing you a CarFax, refuses to provide the applicable VIN number over phone/email or breaks balls if you take pictures or write down the VIN onsite…walk away. Always cross check to verify the provided VIN matches the car for sale; one could easily provide a clear CarFax from a dummy VIN. Also keep in mind a CarFax is just a .pdf document…it’s incredibly easy to edit, swap numbers around or copy over images from a clean report. (This is avoided by running the report yourself, albeit at your cost)

Never buy sight unseen (not that you did). A FaceTime or video chat tour doesn’t count. In the strange world we live in today plus the wonders of the internet, people order cars from all over and have them delivered like an amazon package. If you can’t touch it and smell it before you buy, it doesn’t exist.

In your situation, you might have a case to bring to your state’s attorney general. Despite Indiana having the exemption law for any vehicle older than MY 2010, there is clear evidence of fraud prior to the exemption window. The law does not mention the exemption statute; it could be argued that the seller knowingly sold you a vehicle with odometer fraud. You’ll need to lawyer up and go through a ton of paperwork; all depends on your appetite. If you want to have some fun, call a local attorney who specializes in lemon laws (assuming it’s a free consultation). That might be a solid case; in your state, odometer fraud is a “Level 6” felony. (Link)

Did the seller provide you with a completed and signed Indiana Odometer Disclosure Statement? Even if it was a private purchase or exempt, it appears that Indiana requires the seller to complete this form (I could be wrong).

Full disclosure, I am not an attorney. However, I am familiar with these types of cases.

Depending on your circumstances, I would highly suggest investigating further. If not only for your right to a fair purchase, but to possibly prevent others from being taken for a ride by the same seller.

I love cars, but I hate the car business.
Fantastic advice here.

The vehicle was purchased in Colorado and driven back to Indy, so my lawsuit will have to be filed in CO. The deprecated value difference is likely greater than small claims limits, so I will have to engage a legitimate attorney to file a civil suit.

The title showed mileage exempt, but I didn’t think twice about that because Indiana marks anything over 10 years old as exempt. The ad clearly marketed the car as ‘low miles’ and ‘only 104k’ so it was absolutely misrepresented. The question becomes, was it knowingly?

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is crazy. Why the government allows the ability when it could at least done how be lived in the computer. I changed out the instrument cluster in my 2000 Chrysler and it kept my mileage. However the previous owner of 1 of my trailblazers had it swapped and it changed to a much higher mileage.

Last edited:

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately there always seems to be more unscrupulous car dealers than honest ones, even the manufacturers are hosing their loyal clients. Ford certainly could and should have resolved the timing system issues on 5.4 and newer 3.5 TT models.

Im surprised NTSB has not issued a recall / mechanical repair on these engines.

Ford has issued a computer flash fix, but that is just a band-aid. My neighbor with an F150 got the letter the other day which involved re-flashing the CPU to cause the engine to rotate for several seconds before starting in order to build oil pressure before starting.

His truck is so loud when cold starting (in 60 degree FL weather) I can hear it from inside my house which is across the street. LOUDER than my OLD 7.3 powerstroke starting on a cold winter morning.

BTW, I was involved in the information technology side of law enforcement before my recent retirement and Carfax has been very aggressive in selling LE agencies on allowing CF to install their software on LE systems that search for and upload all vehicle accident information on a daily / weekly basis. They provide the agencies with either direct compensation or donations of technology related equipment In exchange for allowing this.

TexasSully

Reaction score
BTW, I was involved in the information technology side of law enforcement before my recent retirement and Carfax has been very aggressive in selling LE agencies on allowing CF to install their software on LE systems that search for and upload all vehicle accident information on a daily / weekly basis. They provide the agencies with either direct compensation or donations of technology related equipment In exchange for allowing this.
I hope that Carfax has improved their technology since 2013. I purchased a 2011 Sienna and was sideswiped on the freeway driving home from the dealer. LE came to the scene and filed a report. The passenger side suffered pretty extensive damage, I think around 9000 plus the other driver's insurance paid me 3500 diminished value. I ran a carfax when I went to sell it last year and the accident showed as minor damage while on the dealer lot. It had almost 300K on it by that time and the buyer was more concerned with the mechanical than an accident 8 years prior.