Well, the spark plug demon got me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately it sounds like this is a bad shop and we know these are bad plugs. They probably didn't put their best guy on the job and he "permitted" four plugs to break. You may have to play hardball with these guys. You may have to push them a bit -- to get the job done and stop the nonsense. There's an art to negotiating without ******* people off. Here's the place for it.

Hopefully the shop is capable of doing the work without pulling the head and hopefully you can schmooze them into doing it without trying to charge you a ridiculous amount of money. They have your car, and Society considers them to be the experts. You don't want to end up in court trying to proove you know more than they do.

Talk nice, explain the Ford procedure using the penetrating oil, give the mechanic a $20 bill, explain to the manager that there's better ways of extracting the plug than pulling the head and hope for the best...

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would start by asking how the mechanic attempted the plug removal initially. If the procedure was not as the TSB stated, then I would ask the shop manager why the TSB procedure was not followed. If the mechanic did not follow the TSB, then I would firmly but politely, request that the shop eat the cost.

If they followed the procedure, and they also mentioned the possible extra cost if an un-extractable situation occurs, then OP is probably on the hook for the additional repair costs (which shouldn't me more than a few hundred dollars to remove and replace the head).

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why do folks go to a dealer for anything not covered by the warranty? And then only if the problem is major.

OP
OP
J

jcmeyer5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, update. So I went down and talked with the service manager in person. You can probably guess how that went. "Gee, sorry for your luck, it sucks, but we aren't a charity" type conversation. Net of it, they offered $900 off pulling the cylinder head, which made the spark plug change a tidy $2950. He also said they would throw another tech at it first to see if they could get that piece out.

I shelved it and didn't give it a single thought all weekend. Today I got a call around 11am telling me their best tech WAS able to get the piece out, and that I am only on the hook for the extraction fee. They are doing the other bank now (and I am praying), and I should have it back later this afternoon.

Why did I go to the dealer? Because I was deluded enough to think Ford dealer = Ford, and that they would stand behind their product. It was a known issue with these plugs and this engine, and I figured since it was KNOWN, that Ford had it set up with the dealers to "make it right" for the customer. Fat chance. I understand the dealer's position, but I do not understand why when I called Ford's customer relationship line why they basically told me "sucks for you." So yeah, I think I lucked out here. If they didn't use the 546 plugs, I might just rip their delicates off.

Back to replacing the engine. The service rep basically was trying to sell me a new engine for what he was assuming would be a loose timing chain and phasers... saying that they would have enough into it to warrant a new engine at that point. I pointed out to the service manager that a) to my knowledge, the engine was running fine otherwise, and b) I didn't ask them to diagnose a problem, I told them to replace the spark plugs. He agreed that his rep was "overzealous" in recommending a new engine. I said that this is the same rep that tried to tell me extraction was $60 when the service manager said $37.50 per plug, and that those two things combined made me think he was trying to run up the bill. I also said I didn't want to deal with him anymore, which the service manager gladly complied with.

So... new plugs (that hopefully are not prone to breaking so I can do them myself next time) and I have a new set of coils that I can put on tonight.

OP
OP
J

jcmeyer5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would start by asking how the mechanic attempted the plug removal initially. If the procedure was not as the TSB stated, then I would ask the shop manager why the TSB procedure was not followed. If the mechanic did not follow the TSB, then I would firmly but politely, request that the shop eat the cost.

If they followed the procedure, and they also mentioned the possible extra cost if an un-extractable situation occurs, then OP is probably on the hook for the additional repair costs (which shouldn't me more than a few hundred dollars to remove and replace the head).

I did start there, although I read the TSB and I didn't find it particularly helpful. They said they followed it, but I am not surprised it didn't work. I think some of these mom and pop shops who have "adapted" the TSB to a better procedure probably have a better time with it. I just don't have a trusting relationship with any and I thought Ford would have it set up with the dealer to "make it right" for the customer. Silly me.

OP
OP
J

jcmeyer5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shops, especially dealerships always tell the customer at drop off of the difficulty of the spark plug replacement. Even if they forgot to tell him, they cover their butt, with a bulletin from Ford that spells out the risk. It sucks, but they more than likely will not be held responsible. And no his vehicle is not drivable, it would have to be towed to another shop, or home. It's sad, but a way of life.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Oh they did tell me (and I knew anyway). They tried to tell me $60 (it was actually $37.50) per plug for extraction if they break. I got pissy about that with them simply because I expected them to "make it right" for the customer considering the spark plug design was poop. I resigned myself to knowing I would have to pay it if it occurred. What I DIDNT do is try to hold them to the $60 per plug - so even though they were looking at removing the cylinder head, it should still only be the $60 because that is what they quoted. They never said it was ONLY if they could extract it. That said, they kinda held all the cards as they had my (now inoperable) truck and the bit about the $60 was verbal, not in writing. Fortunately it shouldn't come to that.

I am kinda pissed they were looking to pull the head and, had I not gone down there, would not have tried the extraction again with their best tech. Dodged one there.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even at $60.00 per plug for the extraction is a deal. When the plug breaks, it can be a quick deal, or it can get ugly. My dealer here in Daly City charges $175.00 per hour. I couldn't imagine them charging at a minimum of 1/2 hour labor. $87.50, probably more. Glad you got out of there with your shorts intact!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's funny how only old farts like us know about marvel mystery oil. It's one of the few products that's not snake oil in a can. The younger generation mess around with sea foam and other junk, and do more harm than good.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '06 had a plug break at the hex on the plug...not supposed to break there. Shop wanted to pull the head, I told them to use a straight non-tapered EZ Out. A tapered one would expand the plug threads making it impossible to come out. They used a straight one (that I provided) and an impact and out it came. They were happy to learn something new and I was happy not to pull the head.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69