What’s with this dumb trend?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtncpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with the OP. I hate the add on look of these new screens. They look clearly like an after thought.

DontBeJeff

Reaction score
Here's my two cents: Car manufacturers have a hard time with tech, and it is in theirs and our best interest to integrate. Why? Because if done right, it can be darn useful to have information that the manufacturer can put in those systems that otherwise would not work without building it into the body of the vehicle. As stated a few times, they do go out of date. Now, if they made it a modular design, such as a tablet, then it would be way easier to upgrade the system, if that is what you want to do. All you would have to do is go to the manufacturer, say you want the updated equipment, they hand it to you, maybe do a system update on the vehicle itself, and you are on your way. Super proprietary and expensive? Probably. But I assure you, it won't be as nice if it was aftermarket, unless you are into cutting holes all over the body to add sensors and whatnot.

-An IT professional who deals with technology on a daily basis, and has to explain why someone's equipment can't do what they think it should.

Denethor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unless you're shorter than the steering wheel, it will not impede your vision, the hood line extends beyond the top of the screen sight line. If you can't see over the steering wheel, you're in the wrong seating position anyway for driving. Is that screen in the Aviator a pop up or tilt adjustable? The in dash ones are MUCH smaller so they are easier to incorporate in to the design. Are the big screens ugly, yes. This big screen trend started in European luxury cars a decade ago, so manufactures want you to associate you purchase with high end luxury. IF the screen can be hidden (pop up) or tilt adjustable then I don't mind it being up there as it may actually be better to mitigate glare issues. My biggest pet peeve with these large screens is I drive at night a lot on dark remote roads and the brightness does not go dark enough to not light up the entire cabin causing eye strain. Same with the high beam indicator on the dash. regardless of dash light brightness that indicator is always full bright, right in your face, which if you are using your high beams correctly would only be when its dark around you, again making that insanely bright light just out of your sight line, VERY annoying.

fuzzmanmatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I was working at the Cadillac dealer, I liked the pop-up screens in the CTS and XTS (this was 2013 at the latest). They were gone except for a little bit that showed radio information, and then when you put the cars in reverse, they'd pop up and show you a pretty decent view of what was behind.

XR4Ti

Reaction score
Haha - yeah, I remember riding in my friend's Santa Fe or Mazda car of some kind a number of years ago with some dopey screen sticking out of the dash. He wasn't too impressed when I tried to fold it down.

Looking to possibly downsize from my Exp and have to tell you the 4Runner with its basic dash and controls is looking pretty good. Some call it old and out of date and I call it just right.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha - yeah, I remember riding in my friend's Santa Fe or Mazda car of some kind a number of years ago with some dopey screen sticking out of the dash. He wasn't too impressed when I tried to fold it down.

Looking to possibly downsize from my Exp and have to tell you the 4Runner with its basic dash and controls is looking pretty good. Some call it old and out of date and I call it just right.

The 4Runner sales have EXPLODED the last 5 years. Sales have been climbing and Toyota hasn’t done much of well.....anything to it. And that’s why 4Runner buyers love it. Many people love the basic design and reliability of it in a day where every other mid size is a CUV with crappy tech and awful styling/ reliability. Great bang for your buck too, not too pricey and a lot of vehicle. Next to the Explorer it’s a no brainer... better reliability, real 4x4 with tranfer case, body on frame, rear wheel drive....it’s everything the Explorer used to be that it’s not anymore. The Explorer is still trying to aspire to its glory days from the 2000s but still fails. It can’t fill the shoes the old models filled, and sales show that.

Don’t get me wrong, the Explorer is an overall good ride. It’s got good tech, looks nice, etc. but bang for your buck id go Toyota if you aren’t a tech guy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Half the issue with Ford and GM and even Fiat Chrysler is they are so caught up in having the most expensive vehicles and each other that they don’t see their gravestones are already marked. Driving their bread and butter customers away while they are caught up in a different world.

I’m sure it will cycle and they will make changes and survive. But the writing is on the wall, the domestics sales are low and still falling. Their stocks are low, and changes will have to be made. A new era of autos is coming, they’ll have to be more competitive.

Last edited:

Denethor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would not be surprised to learn that these ugly designs are to get around Government regulations of some sort. If it's not considered "integrated" then it doesn't have to pass regulation checks and time to market could be years in the savings time.

cars in the 50's had a rigid steering columns and sharp levers on the heating system that could potentially impale a driver on impact. As the government stepped in and started adding more modern safety requirements, such as seatbelts, airbags and crumple zones, many of the car designs started looking the same so that automotive companies could more easily be in compliance with these requirements. Every safety feature has design limitations, takes up a certain amount of space and has to fit in a specific area of the car. This limits a car designer's options when creating concepts for new vehicles.

Mean_Dean

Reaction score
Maybe the manufactures should just put in a space/cradle/dock where you can plug in your device of choice (Galaxy tab, IPad) and then launch an app to control things in the vehicle? Save themselves some $$$ having to source those big screens and warranty them when problem arise.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How about they just sell me a vehicle with an am/fm radio with bluetooth (which a good Pioneer or Kenwood is under 100.00), a lighter socket and power port up front and 2 in the back, for 15K less?????

No screens, no backup cameras, no trailer steering knobs, no adaptive cruise control, no auto/emergency braking, no blind side systems, no rain sensing wipers...WHAT am I forgetting?

Yes, before you say it...I basically want a 2000-2004 just a new one!

Some just want a new, not rusted out, beat up, high miles and worn vehicle.
We don't need new gimmicks or new conveniences etc. Just a new REPLACEMENT vehicle.
Keyword replacement, not improvement.

All those features would be fine as options or packages but it's all of none now....so I will stay none for a long time.