What’s you’re avg. mpg in your expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric08

Reaction score
would like to compare see what is considered good or bad. Right now I’m averaging 11.9 in city and 15.5 on the highway. 02 EB 155k 5.4L

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2000 Eddie Bauer 10 city, 14-15 long highway trips over 60 miles. I'm running 20 inch street tires, probably accounts for 1 mpg at least. Anything 11 mpg city or higher is normal. Your at 11.9 don't mess with anything! Keep your tire pressure at 75 percent of max on side of tire. Example max 50 psi, keep around 41-43 psi. My owners book says normal city mpg 11mpg. Keep a clean air filter/fuel filter, have wheel alignment checked once a year.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
7.4 average all around city, highway and idling combined per tank full

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
7.4 Habbibie your running real fat! Mine even with a bunch of idling is 9mpg. Do you pass smog checks in Chicago?

OP
OP
Eric08

Eric08

Reaction score
Moose everything in mine is stock last week I was averaging 9.6 but as soon as I changed my fuel filter and air filter it turned into a different truck. Still planning on exhaust and good intake. Tonight I’m running some sea foam through my intake cause I feel my cats are blocked up a little

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
7.4 Habbibie your running real fat! Mine even with a bunch of idling is 9mpg. Do you pass smog checks in Chicago?

No smog just emissions testing, it's been hovering around this number since I acquired it two years ago

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally I don't believe in any of the additives off the parts shelf. Some here do. You actually could possibly make the converters worse. One guy suggested mixing one gallon of lacquer thinner to 3 gallons of 87 Oct gasoline. I'm always leary of these home clean outs.
Why not just measure with a temp gun at each of the 4 cats, inlet and outlet. Temp should be 100 degrees hotter on exit side. Or hook up a vacuum gauge with a long hose and take a ride. Either test will tell you if all 4 are clear and doing their thing. A plugged cat will make a vacuum gauge slowly drop towards 0. The fact your mileage jumped so significantly tells me your air filter was really plugged up! I'd spray out and clean my throttle body, and give your maf sensor a good dousing of maf cleaner. Good luck.

OP
OP
Eric08

Eric08

Reaction score
Yeah I’ve seen the reviews on using lacquer thinner but watched one good video that showed no improvement from using it. But I have seen a lot of good videos on the sea foam in the throttle body intake that do a fantastic job. My only thought with it being the cats is because it still doesn’t have real good acceleration. It’s fine when it gets up to speed by getting there is like watching a runner with a parachute on his back. It’s labored but it can do it