What air pressure are you running in your larger AT tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimW

Reaction score
I have mine set at 40psi but wanted to ask to get the best mileage and wear out of my Toyo Open County AT3 275/65r20.

On my 2007 Escalade (which had similar size/type tires on it), I ran them around 45psi.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Best way is to put chalk marks or grease stick lines on your tire and look at the contact patch. I have E rated tires that need 65 PSI to get the load rating. They crown at that pressure and ride like a tank. My best ride and contact patch was at 38-40 PSI. But when I tow they get hot. So I bumped them up to 45 PSI. Still have a decent contact area and the tire temps and pressure rise went to normal. Ride is a little harsher but I’m to lazy to always be changing pressures. I also rotate them every 5K with the oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Michelin LT tires should be at 44 psi to get the load rating, but they are a bit stiff at that, so like Fozzy I drop them to get a better ride (mine are currently at 37). But towing I'll put them up to 55 which helps quite a bit with the tracking feel of the truck.

OP
OP
J

JimW

Reaction score
OK thanks for the feedback. Yes that's why I was asking because my tires have max pressure of 80psi. My last tires on my Escalade were 65ps. I most I ran in the Escalade was 48psi.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmmm, re-reading my post I should clarify somewhat. My tires are rated to 80psi for max load. When I say that they should be at 44psi to get the load rating, I mean that at 44psi they will carry the RAWR of my Expedition. I go to 55psi not because of load rating but for sidewall stiffness.

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was wondering the same, however I stayed with the same load rating on my bigger, taller tires (SL116) so I am keeping them around 35 PSI, same as factory but Foz has got the right idea regarding contact patch. I may be wrong, but I can't see why I would change the PSI.

YMMV

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have R20 load range "E" with max load at 80 psi. I inflate to 45 psi for daily driving and 65 psi when towing. At 45 psi the ride is stiffer than "C" tires, but I actually prefer it because it felt like mush before. My wife hasn't complained either so I guess it's ok.

fidget247

Reaction score
Quick add-on question for y'all. When you air up the tires for towing, do you add air to all 4 or just the rears? And would that change if you are using a load leveling hitch setup?

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always keep all 4 at the same pressure, but I can't really justify that other than to say that the placard has all 4 the same so I don't mess with it... I suspect it doesn't really matter as long as the pressure is appropriate for the weight each tire is carrying.