What Brakes should I use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MavrickMA

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know this topic has been talked about a lot already, but I was hoping I could get some help on my specific set-up. Below are my questions. Thanks for any advise you can give.

I've got an '03 Expy XLT w/ the 4.6...

Type of Driving: Mostly around town, a higher than average amount of highway, not a lot of towing, but some. Quite a bit of time with a full passenger load.

1.) I've read the previous posts and it seems that people are steering away from the ceramic pads. I like ceramic because they don't put out as much dust. Is there another type of pad that performs better, but doesn't put out a lot of dust?

2.) What are the best rotors (type and vendor) for my application? How much of an improvement are drilled/slotted?

3.) What are the best pads for my application (type and vendor)? See question #1 as well.

4.) What are some good places to get these items for the cheapest prices?

Thanks again for your help.
Mav

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1. I've read a few folks like CarQuest blue pads for performance and low-dust, but I stick to Hawk pads. They aren't dust-free by any means but I think they perform very well.

2. IMHO...Brembo non-drilled, non-slotted. Get them at The Tire Rack for about $80 each. I don't htink there's an appreciable improvement with drilled or slotted. I used to have some pricey, one-off AP cross-drilled rotors, as well as StopTech, and I don't notice a difference in performance...but the solid rotors dust a LOT less, the cross-drilled rotors really chewed thru pads...fronts would last me 12K miles, at most, with the cross-drilled rotors I had.

I think someone on this board runs Hawk LTS pads, hopefully he'll chime-in. I think he mentioned that they don't dust too badly.

I think The Tire Rack's online store offers good prices, and it's very user-friendly.

Grasshopper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not having warped rotors from ceramic pads seems to be more important to me than the vanity of having little dust...

Just make sure you get good rotors to go with ceramics if you get them. I don't know what those are because my stuff is stock. Brembo is a good brand though...

I'd also stay away from drill/slotted for the reasons pronstar mentioned.

WhitE03

Reaction score
just picked up my xp 10 minutes ago with new brakes all around...

i bought DRT rotors...cross drilled/slotted...

(right from the ad)
Feature:

Longer rotors life
Prevent fading
Prevent warping
Reduce stopping distance
Better stopping power under-wet condition
CAD programmed
CNC machined for precision and balance
Zinc plating to prevent rust (silver)
Holes are chamfered
3/16 holes are much stronger over competitor’s ¼ holes
Less material being removed, more friction surface

also had ceramic pads put on(supplied by shop, dont know what brand)

my mechanic drove it around today to brake them in alittle...when i picked it up, just driving a couple blocks it feels like they bite alot faster and harder...its a major, noticable improvement...and FINALLY the brake squeak has stopped...not to mention they look dead sexy behind the wheels...

pics are just of the front

disc.jpg
disc2.jpg

edit: if i were to have supplied my own pads...it would have been EBC green stuff pads...heard good things about them

Last edited:

danketchpel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anybody had the Brembo rotors on long enough to find out if they warp over time, especially from towing?

When the time comes I'm thinking of going with the Brembos. I've had Brembo brakes on several of my motorcycles and have been extremely impressed.

I haven't decided about pads yet. The stock pads actually seem pretty decent, might just go with those again.

cahess

Reaction score
I've been using Wagner Thermoquiet brakes pads on my F150's (3 since 97) and my Expy. I use their rotors and their pads. They aren't very expensive pads about 50 (lifetime warranty) and the rotors about 80 (lifetime warranty). I've only replaced them once on the expy so far, I've put about 47,000 miles on them. They still give off some dust, more on the front of course, but not near as much as the stock pads. I drive like an ********, hit the speed limiter in my expy at least once a week, if not more, and I tow a massive 36 foot travel trailer that weighs in at just under 10,000 lbs. (see my post under suspension - 2003 suspension upgrade?) I've been very impressed.

Oh yeah, to get rid of the little brake dust I do get, I've found armorall's tire cleaner (not foam - it's a spray) in a grey bottle works awesome. I normally use a quarter wash, but sometimes will run through the touchless wash here, I just spray on before I get into the line (or while I'm getting change for the quarter machine) 90 -95 percent comes off with just water. The white letters on the tires come right back to bright white, no scrubbing, no hand washing, nothing!

Carbon

Reaction score
this somewhat relates. I just put new rotors and pads on my moms G35, her brakes were grinding metal on metal.

I chose to go with the EBC Sport Rotors and Hawk brake pads. Got them installed yesterday, followed Hawks guidelines to fit them to the rotors and all I can say is wow. Her car stops so much better, the brakes are amazing. I would recommend EBC and hawk. Her new setup makes my 07 expedition brakes feel pretty crappy, when the time comes i will be switching to ebc and hawk.

OP
OP
M

MavrickMA

Reaction score
I ended putting on Centric pads and rotors. The rotors have a powdercoated center so they'll never rust and never freeze to the hub. The pads are a carbon metallic. So far, they're doing pretty good. I'll let you know how they end up down the road.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker