What diagnostic options are available in the dealers shop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beckta10

Reaction score
If you’ve seen some of my other posts you know I’ve had the driver side turbo replaced on my 3.5l ecoboost and I think I may need the passenger side replaced as well due to a squeak/howl we’ve been experiencing after accelerating.

My question is, does anyone know if the dealer has the ability to put a load on the engine and make the turbos spool up, build pressure, and release it while in the shop and without going for a drive? I’m thinking if this is possible then I can stand there with them as they run it through some varying scenarios until we get the squeak to happen. Once that happens I should be able to get an answer on what’s wrong.

I plan to call the dealer to ask this question but with the way things have been going I wouldn’t be surprised if I wasn’t told the truth or even unintentionally misled as it seems the people that answer the phone have no idea what the techs are doing. I’m not sure if they really don’t know or if they just play dumb but I was hoping to get info here so I have it handy if needed.

Thank you advance for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Best advice we always give here, is record both audio, and video, anytime a item acts up. That way they've got to keep your vehicle until it duplicates the symptoms. Kinda hard to say we couldn't find your problem, when like in court, you've got evidence.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Best advice we always give here, is record both audio, and video, anytime a item acts up. That way they've got to keep your vehicle until it duplicates the symptoms. Kinda hard to say we couldn't find your problem, when like in court, you've got evidence.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

I did this and the service manager repeatedly said: "I don't hear it." I must have played it a dozen times. In principle, I agree 100% though. :D

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you’ve seen some of my other posts you know I’ve had the driver side turbo replaced on my 3.5l ecoboost and I think I may need the passenger side replaced as well due to a squeak/howl we’ve been experiencing after accelerating.

My question is, does anyone know if the dealer has the ability to put a load on the engine and make the turbos spool up, build pressure, and release it while in the shop and without going for a drive? I’m thinking if this is possible then I can stand there with them as they run it through some varying scenarios until we get the squeak to happen. Once that happens I should be able to get an answer on what’s wrong.

I plan to call the dealer to ask this question but with the way things have been going I wouldn’t be surprised if I wasn’t told the truth or even unintentionally misled as it seems the people that answer the phone have no idea what the techs are doing. I’m not sure if they really don’t know or if they just play dumb but I was hoping to get info here so I have it handy if needed.

Thank you advance for your help!

You can do that in your driveway. As long as the engine is running, the turbines are spinning. Increasing engine rpm increases turbo rpm. Now, where the pressurized air goes is up to the ECM, either back into the intake manifold, out a waste gate, or bypassed into the exhaust pipe. Not knowing what your squeak sounds like, but on my '17, my turbos make what is best described as a dove cooing, but only in certain circumstances; for instance, I'm at a red light, waiting to turn left. The light turns green, I begin to accelerate and then as I complete the turn, the guy in front starts slowing to make a left turn into a gas station (real world case, happens right by my house virtually everyday). When I get off the throttle, the turbos spin down and make that sound, once each, almost at the same time.

That is the only condition where it happens. I think the 3.5EBs use a bypass system, and not a waste gate (or blow-off valve). Those make the loud hissing sound.

OP
OP
B

Beckta10

Reaction score
You can do that in your driveway. As long as the engine is running, the turbines are spinning. Increasing engine rpm increases turbo rpm. Now, where the pressurized air goes is up to the ECM, either back into the intake manifold, out a waste gate, or bypassed into the exhaust pipe. Not knowing what your squeak sounds like, but on my '17, my turbos make what is best described as a dove cooing, but only in certain circumstances; for instance, I'm at a red light, waiting to turn left. The light turns green, I begin to accelerate and then as I complete the turn, the guy in front starts slowing to make a left turn into a gas station (real world case, happens right by my house virtually everyday). When I get off the throttle, the turbos spin down and make that sound, once each, almost at the same time.

That is the only condition where it happens. I think the 3.5EBs use a bypass system, and not a waste gate (or blow-off valve). Those make the loud hissing sound.

What you’re describing does sound somewhat like what I’ve got going on. Any chance you can get a video or audio recording? I’ve two one I can post but need some time to get them up.

OP
OP
B

Beckta10

Reaction score
Here’s a link to the video I took back in December. This video is the best example and you hear the sound at about 6 seconds in. Is this what yours sounds like?

Sometimes mine is quick and over like in the video and sometimes it makes a couple of those sounds.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Usually you can tell just by spinning them by hand or checking to side to side play in the bearing. They probably won't even need to spool them up

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Run the engine and trans up to temp.
While in Drive apply the brakes firmly. Easily apply 3/4 to full throttle while still pressing the brakes. The torque converter will apply plenty of drag and load the engine. If a scanner is attached record the boost pressure. Let off the throttle and shut down after 3-5 minutes of idling.

As stated earlier a visual inspection of the shaft play is best. If they are within spec, rock on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69