Votes: 41 45.1%
  • I siphon gas from the neighbor

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I actually drive a Prius

• 100+ Racing Gas

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can still get it in some places. Tracks, both drag and road racing typically have it also. It is a fortune though.

E85 is 108!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Not 105 but...7d0f9a30ef52d64aa3c9279539b365b1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not 105 but...7d0f9a30ef52d64aa3c9279539b365b1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Where is that? If that pump had E85 it would be PERFECT! Mix my E85 and 100 to get to E70. I would be in Heaven!

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where is that? If that pump had E85 it would be PERFECT! Mix my E85 and 100 to get to E70. I would be in Heaven!

Well, he is from Buckeye Country and that is the official gas of Nascar. Maybe Eldora or Lexington, OH?

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here in MD the difference between 87 and 91 is anywhere from $.50 to $1.00. If the difference was only $.20 like you have it, I would be running premium all the time.

However, our 87 is only $around $2.40/gal. 91 is usually around $3.00. The closer to Washington, DC I get, the higher the prices seem to go.
Ditto! Basic economics. I-80 Truckstop in IA, 87 $2.21, Premium 91 $3.10. I get about 7-9% better mileage with premium. Part of that is because the 91 is most often ethanol free. I will pay a 20% bump for premium, so unless I am towing I usually end up with 87. She still has PLENTY of power....

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score

If ethanol is so great for performance, why isn't the Mustang set up to use more than 10%? The GT is an ACTUAL performance engine/vehicle. The Expedition is not. It is designed to tow and haul people. Apples and Oranges. I don't any benefits running anything higher than 91, in an engine that is only 10.5-1 compression. Lower compression is better for towing.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If ethanol is so great for performance, why isn't the Mustang set up to use more than 10%? The GT is an ACTUAL performance engine/vehicle. The Expedition is not. It is designed to tow and haul people. Apples and Oranges. I don't any benefits running anything higher than 91, in an engine that is only 10.5-1 compression. Lower compression is better for towing.

And yet again you come along and make an uneducated stuck in the mud comment that has no bearing on modern Turbo Charged direct injected Motors. Not to mention you are comparing a NA V8 to a Twin Turbo Charged V6. That being said, even the 5.0 can see excellent gains by adding Ethanol. It’s official limit from the factory is 15%.

Regardless of what YOU think it is designed for more power is still fun, and in many cases useful.

Ethanol has 2 things going for it that help to generate more power in Modern Engines, Higher Octane(E85 is 108) and Evaporative cooling. Both allow more timing, and in the case of a Turbo Charged Motor, more Boost. Both mean more power.

That is just 1 of MANY videos of the gains a Mustang can gain running on E85.

The issue with Ethanol is Energy content. The same amount of energy needs more fuel, so higher flow. MPG goes down, but E85 at least in my area is $1.00 cheaper than Premium. Cost per Mile is the same.

Because of that additional flow needed, most EB equipped Fords limitation to percentage of E they can run is dependent on the Fuel Pump. I have A LOT of experience with this because of my Edge. I am running E70 in it. I know of no other person successfully running that high on stock Cats and stock pump in that platform. That was the reference above. That was not an Expedition I ran that in.

The theoretical limitation for the 4th Gen Expedition according to my Tuner is probably around E50, before the stock pump would be maxed out.

There is an aftermarket solution out there that many people are using. All the videos you can find of the New Explorer ST running on E85 are running XDI Pumps. https://www.xtreme-di.com/product-category/xdi-di-fuel-system/xdi-high-pressure-fuel-pumps/

I have been known to drop a few gallons of E85 to mix with 20+ Gallons of 93 in our 2017 Expedition. You can feel the difference. I am also running a basic 93 tune on it.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ditto! Basic economics. I-80 Truckstop in IA, 87 $2.21, Premium 91 $3.10. I get about 7-9% better mileage with premium. Part of that is because the 91 is most often ethanol free. I will pay a 20% bump for premium, so unless I am towing I usually end up with 87. She still has PLENTY of power....

Premium in general has no less Ethanol than 87. Trust me, I have tested A LOT of Pumps.