What happened to choice in America

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Been a member here for a long time, don't post much BUT READ A LOT of posts of people having issues with new ones, Yes I know people with issues post and people with out issues don't BUT What happened to choice in America, its now take it or leave it AND after reading all the issues with newer Expeditions I'll keep on keeping on with our 07 we bought new, Why can't I get a new one with the 5.0 OR the new 5.2 and the 6 speed, seems the new ford 10 speed has issues in the F-150 & I believe that is the same trans as the Expedition and has a class action law suit filed, https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2020/ford-f-150-10-speed-transmission-problems-lawsuit.shtml , turbo issues and loss of coolant with the T-T V 6 , the list goes on & on, give me one good reason to spend $ 60 K plus on a new one, the old one has no cam phaser noise yet and I think being **** about maintenance helps with that changing oil every 5000 miles with Motor craft oil & filter & flushing the trans every 25 -30 K , still has the original spark plugs coming up on 130,000 miles and does 18.5 mpg in the north woods of Wisconsin where its COLD, actually I'm scared to attempt to change them with it running so good, it does have the flaking paint on the back hatch & that brings up another issue that time will tell IF Ford fixed that issue, an all aluminum body, Fire away guy's.

Plati

Reaction score
Been a member here for a long time, don't post much BUT READ A LOT of posts of people having issues with new ones, Yes I know people with issues post and people with out issues don't BUT What happened to choice in America, its now take it or leave it AND after reading all the issues with newer Expeditions I'll keep on keeping on with our 07 we bought new, Why can't I get a new one with the 5.0 OR the new 5.2 and the 6 speed, seems the new ford 10 speed has issues in the F-150 & I believe that is the same trans as the Expedition and has a class action law suit filed, https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2020/ford-f-150-10-speed-transmission-problems-lawsuit.shtml , turbo issues and loss of coolant with the T-T V 6 , the list goes on & on, give me one good reason to spend $ 60 K plus on a new one, the old one has no cam phaser noise yet and I think being **** about maintenance helps with that changing oil every 5000 miles with Motor craft oil & filter & flushing the trans every 25 -30 K , still has the original spark plugs coming up on 130,000 miles and does 18.5 mpg in the north woods of Wisconsin where its COLD, actually I'm scared to attempt to change them with it running so good, it does have the flaking paint on the back hatch & that brings up another issue that time will tell IF Ford fixed that issue, an all aluminum body, Fire away guy's.
Henry Ford quote from "back in the day"
Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black.

I would change those plugs and don't be scared about it. Just because its runs good today doesnt mean it will a month from now or whenever. Just my opinion. I changed the plugs on my 2014 5.4L at 85K and the plugs on my 2003 at 99K. The longer you leave them in the more they might be difficult to get out, I suspect. It's good ta change da plugs!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The answer is cafe driven, product placement driven, and investment driven. You have to realize what the 5.0 is, a replacement to the modular 4.6 (albeit an amazing one) for the Mustang GT and lighter duty F-150 trucks. It is high horsepower, and revs high. The 3.5 EcoBoost as great as it is was cheap to make, they wanted more power and economy for competitive advantage....the cyclone engine tooling had been in place and payed for years ago, they just had to design it to take forced induction and make better flowing heads. Same deal on the 5.0, based on modular 100mm bore spacing, they just had to design better heads (4V) and increased bore. There is no middle ground V8, you have the smallish 5.0 and then jump up to 1 ton engines like the 6.2 and 7.3. Ford would have to design an all new engine ground up for half ton duty and it would cost $$$. It would need to be 5.5-6.0 Liters, direct injection, DOHC, new block etc. Then however you have two engines with gobs of torque that get similar fuel economy and similar power. The EcoBoost HO and the new V8 would essentially fit the same use. The only other easy avenue I see is the current Boss 379 6.2, they could modify this engine for comfortable half ton use. DOD, new heads, DI, and an aluminum block would make it work. So at this point Ford is in a weird spot, missing that middle ground V8 to compete with GMs 6.2 LS (previously 6.0 filled its shoes) and RAMs Hemi 5.7. The gap the 5.4 used to fill but as we know it got long in the tooth eventually.

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
As the currency is inflated, costs of producing new designs soar. We've entered an age where companies must show continued growth with very minimum investment. The US is joining other Banana Republics with deflating currency and inflating commodities. We're seeing one result of these trends.

When my 2008 goes, I won't be buying anything turbocharged. That's my line in the sand as long as a good alternative is available elsewhere.

OP
OP
P

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Henry Ford quote from "back in the day"
Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black.

I would change those plugs and don't be scared about it. Just because its runs good today doesnt mean it will a month from now or whenever. Just my opinion. I changed the plugs on my 2014 5.4L at 85K and the plugs on my 2003 at 99K. The longer you leave them in the more they might be difficult to get out, I suspect. It's good ta change da plugs!
My 07 has the plugs that tend to snap off taking them out, the two piece ones, hope Ford fired the guy who came up with that design, not taking it to Ford, I know a guy who has an extractor, I'll take it to him this spring.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With only 130K on the clock in 14 years it doesn't make any sense for you to buy new anyway. Pick up a used one off lease or one that someone simply couldn't afford and it will probably last you until you die. :D

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You have 130k on one of the vehicles most likely to reach 300k. Yours is just broken in... And wait and see what your choices are in that 2030 Expedition that should be available about the time your current one finally wears out...

MrBlargMan

Reaction score
As a professional master mechanic, seeing all of the crap that can go wrong with the new vehicles first hand, I will definitely be sticking with my 2003 2V 5.4. Call me an automotive "purist", if you will. But I much prefer earlier 2000's vehicles that are still "modern", but provide the connection of the driver to the road without the major computer interference of vehicles now days. All of these new passive electronic systems are for the birds. I'll drive it myself, thank you very much.

jmiller

Reaction score
Not to beat a dead horse. But I bought my 18 expedition with 1500 miles on it. By 6k ford had to rebuild the transmission. This is my first time owning a ford. I used to drive the expedition for law enforcement in Colorado in 2007 an loved it. 4wd drive system was amazing. Just this past weekend I was in Sun Valley an pulled off the road into about 6 inches of snow..got completely stuck. Used all the different settings an nothing was getting me out. Luckily a guy with a Raptor came an yanked me out. Maybe it was partly my all season tires..but I doubt it. I loved how the old expeditions had a 4lo setting..it could crawl through anything. I'm just not overly impressed with this vehicle. Especially having to have the tranny rebuilt with less than 10k miles on it. I owned a honda ridgeline for 10 yrs prior an put maybe $500 dollars into that car other than changing the oil. That thing was bulletproof...ford seems far from that from what I've experienced so far.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire