What Have You Done to Your 4th Gen This Week?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Marlowe

Reaction score
Been thinking about how I can modify my essentially stock expedition... The biggest complaints my family has is the power for computers/etc... lots of hungry Mac books and surface books which don't like the USB ports and even the 110v AC can be fickle.. Started leaving a portable fridge in the vehicle.

I need to:
- Put Solar Panels on roof
- Big Power Bank with Solar Charge Controller and Multiple AC ports in cabin
- Portable fridge plugged into Power Bank all the time

I just need to figure out how to safely wire from roof to back cabin...

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Big H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Been thinking about how I can modify my essentially stock expedition... The biggest complaints my family has is the power for computers/etc... lots of hungry Mac books and surface books which don't like the USB ports and even the 110v AC can be fickle.. Started leaving a portable fridge in the vehicle.

I need to:
- Put Solar Panels on roof
- Big Power Bank with Solar Charge Controller and Multiple AC ports in cabin
- Portable fridge plugged into Power Bank all the time

That would be pretty intense. Def agree on the power situation, and the 110v port being finicky. Have you considered a 12v fridge or do u need the size / capacity of the mini fridge?

You can most likely run the wiring through the tailgate edging and along the roof rails for added security and protection.

Keep us posted on the project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matthew Marlowe

Reaction score
I'm going to have to do this without taking too much from towing payload, so that's going to come into play....

Fridge gets filled with drinks, watter bottles, and snacks to max once every 7-12 days. It has good insulation and draws up to 35watts using AC or DC when active cooling. Power bank will be bluetti... they have several models with builtin AC ports and regulated usb/12v...the smaller I can get away with the better...put 1-2 super light weight panels on Yakima rack.

That's idea in a little more detail.

Last edited:

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score

A good place to start is the low profile roof rack thread. I know there are at least two guys here that have done it for lights. What size wire are you planning on running?

I plan on putting a 2k inverter under the floor in the back. With that many laptops and a fridge I'd consider doing a dual battery setup... How much solar do you plan on running? Since you are worried about payload I assume you have the max tow with upgraded alternator?

If you are considering dual Batts these could help...
https://sdhqoffroad.com/collections/ballistic-fabrication-battery-boxes

Last edited:

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to have to do this without taking too much from towing payload, so that's going to come into play....

Fridge gets filled with drinks, watter bottles, and snacks to max once every 7-12 days. It has good insulation and draws up to 35watts using AC or DC when active cooling. Power bank will be bluetti... they have several models with builtin AC ports and regulated usb/12v...the smaller I can get away with the better...put 1-2 super light weight panels on Yakima rack.

That's idea in a little more detail.

I think the power bank is the way to go over a duel battery set up. I am looking at the Bluetti AC200 or one of the Inergy ones. They give you a MPTT controller plus everything else in one box. Plus it’s not permanently mounted in the rig. Then add a DC to DC solar ready controller to charge with the smart alternator and I should be good to go. I have been testing out the Lion Solar fridge and it has its own built in removable battery and PWM controller. In 90 degree temps with my 120 watt solar panels on top the battery will make it through the night and only warm up 6-10 degrees before the sun puts the panels in full charge. Then they will run the fridge and charge the battery. With the days getting shorter it may not make it through the night but a power pack will. Currently boating at Lake Mead NV this weekend. The temp is 115. Cooler still was sitting at 34 degrees when we pulled off the lake tonight at dark. The battery was at 50%. Plugged it into the Expy and got the battery to 75% but didn’t think it would make it through the night. Put a freshly charged battery in it and we will see in the morning where it sits. I ordered the full window Weathertech sun shades to try and keep the Expy cooler while we boated. But they did not show up in time. I think that would help tremendously in these temps. Water was 91 degrees and glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk