What to look for when buying a gen 2 expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tigster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the Rear wiper, mine and my friends get stuck 1/2 way when you turn them on at first.

We both found you turn it off when it sticks then turn them back on and it works fine.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have some #3 also on my 05. My windows can move slow. Other than that, so far so good.

ScottyDsntKnow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Typical stuff you look for when buying any used vehicle. Motor and trans in these are pretty stout, when properly taken care of, the 5.4 will still be kicking strong when the body is falling off the frame.

All the problem areas have really been mentioned already so obviously look for those and test out everything. I was really into one Expo I test drove until the parking brake didn't work and the driver's seat motor would clunk and not move when I tried to make it go forward. Those motors are not cheap new and the owner kept trying to tell me that I was moving the switch wrong and that it worked lol.

In this market, I found it is actually better to buy from a dealer since NOBODY is going to pay KBB/Edmunds value for an Expo and the private sellers were way higher up than the dealers were. Not to mention they tend to get much angrier when you tell them their vehcile isn't worth KBB and they get insulted by a "lowball" that is actually a bit higher than what a local dealer was asking for the same vehicle with tax/title/tags already factored in.

Sierra Lima1470

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd say make sure the six disc changer works properly. I hear thats an issue. Also see if the climate controlled seat works fine on the Eddie Bauer models. And if it has the wireless headsets to the DVD system. Mine weren't there but since there won't be kids back there it wasn't an issue to me.

ScottyDsntKnow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
6 disc changer not working is really not a dealbreaker, just a negotiating chip. You can pull them and have them sent out for fixing (or DIY if you are a pointyhead) for something like $150-$200. Not cheap but not crazy either... Or just upgrade to a good aftermarket unit as ALL stock systems are junk compared to even a quality budget setup from someone who knows what they are doing.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a suggestion, but I'd think this would be one of those threads you sticky, since these threads are what people usually look for when first buying a vehicle...

The same with the other threads for the other years.

twisted

Reaction score
first off 2nd gen has issues witht their frontend suspension as per dealer. check door switches for proper operation, cluster, the most important part is the tranny... i was told after mine blew that most 04-06 expys come in for new trannies so get it checked ahead of time, front wheel hubs...sigh typical ford. thats about it... imo and experiance.

Rod240sx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 06 and also have some bubbling of the paint on the rear tailgate - more or less below the rear wipers assembly.

Great post guys - wish I had seen this before buying my Expy, would have had a better idea what I was looking for. Fortunately, I lucked out in most of those scenarios except the rear bubbling of the paint and my $1,500 tune-up @ 74,000 miles. 6 of the 8 spark plugs were seized inside the engine and my friend spent a week and a half doing everything he could to take out the spark plugs without tearing the engine apart and pulling out the heads. A week and a half later with 2 broken specialty tools, lots of patience, and ingenuity he was able to get them out and complete the tune up.

I've read some stories of folks taking it to the dealer and having to pay something like $3,000+ to replace spark plugs because apparently FORD will just simply pull out the heads if a single spark plug seizes inside...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65