What to look for when buying a gen 2 expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This would apply to the 05 and 06 years. Now with winter coming and roads being salted. Check the Drivers Fuel Pump Module as they are prone to corrode and leave you stranded There is plenty of information here on the forum about this issue.

thebuckaman

Reaction score
Just registered to say thanks for the checklist. I used it to pick up a 2004 XLT with 108k. Really in nice shape. The list was an awesome help. I do have a fuel smell when I filled it up and noticed some fuel on the front of the tank when I got it in the garage. I will need to investigate this.

Captainjerky

Reaction score
It was all true!

Had my 2005 Eddie Bauer a year and a half now and still going great. Did have to shell out $600 for plugs (I tried them myself but could only get 1 to budge and spark plug wells were full of gravel) but that's the last time I'll ever have to do that.
Have a very occasional clunking from the rear environmental system with the sticking bypass door, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it's going to act up.
Overall I really like the truck. It hauls my 5500lb camper like it's not there and is doing well. Hoping the phaser chatter doesn't ever get any louder, but still makes good power and no loss of mileage so not going to worry about that yet since I don't know anybody with a truck like this that DOESN'T make the phaser noise.
Going to spring for a 3" Gibson exhaust in the next couple weeks. Merry Christmas to Brutus!

Slipk0rvayne17

Reaction score
Ive had my 2006 XLT for about 6 months now. and ive only had my passengers side "puddle light" go out and the clicking noise with the A/C unit but the clicking noise is coming from the FRONT A/C unit not the rear... and a little annoying a bulb is out in my instrument cluster (By the gear shifter)

nbpace

Reaction score
Thanks for the checklist. I am looking at a 2004 Eddie Bauer edition tomorrow. Qucik question: since its the 2v engine, does that mean that I don't need to worry about potential cam phaser issues? Thanks in advance. If I buy the truck, I'll post pics and give an update.

Adrian Latchman

Reaction score
Three issues - minor really -
1) side mirror control stopped working - took it out and cleaned contacts working again.
2) faded door trim.
3) front driver side door rattle - haven't figured this one out yet.

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My drivers door rattles as well. Mine is the trim where the keypad is.

ltmark

Reaction score
!!! Ask and LOOK for previously blown spark plugs holes!! I would pass on a gen 2! You can't reach half of then engine and being an older model, there will likely be issues! I own one, by the way. It has actualy been pretty problem free EXCEPT for the 2 blown spark plugs. However, if there are an head issues, or something that requires head removal, you'll need a 2nd mortgage on a veh that isn't worth the repair costs! JMO

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Blown out spark plug holes happen on first generations, not second. Second gen's have a problem with broken original spark plugs on removal. If the originals were replaced this isn't an issue. 2005-2007 models have cam phaser issues, but not all of them. It is pricey if they need to be replaced, ask to see if they have been. 2005-06 have a fuel pump module that mounts near the spare tire, that corrodes and fails. Easily replaced though. Other than that make sure transmission services were done, if not causes issues. I think that's about all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk