What to look for when buying a gen3 expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arni Atlason

Reaction score
I bought one month ago 2007 expedition EL limited.
Mine was misfiring under load no code, changed spark plugs and misfiring went away. I think it was original spark plugs 138000 miles.
Frame rotted passenger side behind front wheel, all taken care of.
Exhaust manifold leaking passenger side, 2 studs broken first port inside the head. Hell to fix but was able to do it.
brake didn't want to release, brake hose was almost closed because rust on a clamp.
nav DVD refuses to run, dont want to deal with it.
Paint flaking on hood and hatch, its new normal from Ford.

Other than that awesome car, luckily got it for great price.

Cooldog

Reaction score
Arni,

Can you elaborate on the brake hose problem please? Where was this clamp that was causing the problem?

I just might have a similar issue. I replaced the front calipers, and although things have improved, I do think I'm still having some drag.

Thanks,
Paul

I bought one month ago 2007 expedition EL limited.
Mine was misfiring under load no code, changed spark plugs and misfiring went away. I think it was original spark plugs 138000 miles.
Frame rotted passenger side behind front wheel, all taken care of.
Exhaust manifold leaking passenger side, 2 studs broken first port inside the head. Hell to fix but was able to do it.
brake didn't want to release, brake hose was almost closed because rust on a clamp.
nav DVD refuses to run, dont want to deal with it.
Paint flaking on hood and hatch, its new normal from Ford.

Other than that awesome car, luckily got it for great price.

Arni Atlason

Reaction score
Hi Paul,

This clamp holds the rubber hose from caliber to metal pipe.

This clamp started to rust and of course where it did hold the hose and started to ccrimp it.

So the opening on the hose was very little.

regards
Arni

18j1628_6.jpg

Arni Atlason

Reaction score
Arni,

Can you elaborate on the brake hose problem please? Where was this clamp that was causing the problem?

I just might have a similar issue. I replaced the front calipers, and although things have improved, I do think I'm still having some drag.

Thanks,
Paul
Hi Paul,

This clamp started to rust and of course where it did hold the hose and started to ccrimp it.

You guys have to forgive, Im new and learning on this forum

regards
Arni

18j1628_6-jpg.24938

Cooldog

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I didn't see it earlier (need to check my setting here). I replaced the front hoses on last week, and it totally fixed the problem :)

I was already pretty sure that the hoses were the cause, rather than the master cylinder, because the dragging was unequal between the left and right calipers, which are new.

I knew I was on the right track immediately, because when I disconnected the caliper end of the hoses first, no brake fluid leaked from the open end of the hose!!!!

Hi Paul,

You guys have to forgive, Im new and learning on this forum

regards
Arni

18j1628_6-jpg.24938

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bought my '07 about six weeks ago, from Florida, 118,000 miles. Had check engine light, cylinder 5 and passenger cat. Just cleaned up coil connection on plug and dealer replaced cat under good will. Truck is two wheel drive and is getting 16.5 in town and up to 17.9 on freeway. Will need tires soon and I picked up a set of plugs for it.

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bought my "new" 2017 Limited 2/18. Issues included scratched driver's window (Ford at first refused to fix it), heated front seats cooled when they were supposed to heat, whistling noise from heating/cooling system blower, and missing wiper arm cover. All fixed.

Bmoe

Reaction score
Bought my "new" 2017 Limited 2/18. Issues included scratched driver's window (Ford at first refused to fix it), heated front seats cooled when they were supposed to heat, whistling noise from heating/cooling system blower, and missing wiper arm cover. All fixed.
Hi,

I just bought a 2017 Expedition Limited a week ago, has approximately 10k mile or 17k kilometres for any fellow Canadians. I noticed something yesterday for the first time.

I had pulled my Expy into driveway to clean garage, left it there all day and it was 95F or 35C, going to store I used command start to pre cool interior. When I came out first thing I heard was engine was very loud, at first I thought it was over reaving so I turned off and restarted was idling normally. Went to store, on way home engine started making the loud noise again, rpm' showed normal so drove home noise still loud. I parked and and left running opened hood hood and identified the noise coming from the Cooling fan.

My question is it supposed to be so loud and why Is fan kicking in when expy was parked all day and not running.

Thanks, anyone else with a 2017 Expedition noticed this? I owned a 2015 F150 with 2.7l ecoboost and never ever had this happen and if my cooling fan did kick on it was so quiet I didn't notice it.

Last edited:

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought a 2017 Expedition Limited a week ago, has approximately 10k mile or 17k kilometres for any fellow Canadians. I noticed something yesterday for the first time.

I had pulled my Expy into driveway to clean garage, left it there all day and it was 95F or 35C, going to store I used command start to pre cool interior. When I came out first thing I heard was engine was very loud, at first I thought it was over reaving so I turned off and restarted was idling normally. Went to store, on way home engine started making the loud noise again, rpm' showed normal so drove home noise still loud. I parked and and left running opened hood hood and identified the noise coming from the Cooling fan.

My question is it supposed to be so loud and why Is fan kicking in when expy was parked all day and not running.

Thanks, anyone else with a 2017 Expedition noticed this? I owned a 2015 F150 with 2.7l ecoboost and never ever had this happen and if my cooling fan did kick on it was so quiet I didn't notice it.
Typically if the AC is running on any car the radiator fan will run full speed or close to it. Also keep in mind the high ambient temp so I would expect them to run full speed

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fans on the Ecoboost can be alarmingly loud at times. I discovered this when driving my new (to me) '17 on a hot Summer day for the first time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes