What to look for when buying a gen3 expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jennifer Fradella

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The front hvac heater blend actuator, and the rear one is going out. Aggravating clicking in the dash and the passenger rear.

Also, a green wrench light has come one a few different times, with nothing noticeable ever going on. Would it be that the transmission trying to learn my driving? Two times that it came on, I brought it to auto zone and o’reillys, and pulled a P0741 code. When the wrench is off, no code was pulled (one additional time I brought it to autozone just to see).

It’s an 09. I am the 3rd owner. 1st owner drove it 122k miles until 2015, and 2nd owner drove it 11k miles in the next 3 years bec he lived in a retirement home, then passed away, and willed it to his brother, who sold it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The front hvac heater blend actuator, and the rear one is going out. Aggravating clicking in the dash and the passenger rear.

Also, a green wrench light has come one a few different times, with nothing noticeable ever going on. Would it be that the transmission trying to learn my driving? Two times that it came on, I brought it to auto zone and o’reillys, and pulled a P0471 code. When the wrench is off, no code was pulled (one additional time I brought it to autozone just to see).

It’s an 09. I am the 3rd owner. 1st owner drove it 122k miles until 2015, and 2nd owner drove it 11k miles in the next 3 years bec he lived in a retirement home, then passed away, and willed it to his brother, who sold it to me.

I haven't experienced that issue before, but this is what I found for that code - https://www.obd-codes.com/p0471

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
There's a bit of information on the Internet about this code. It's transmission related and often can be fixed without a huge expense or rebuilding. Find an HONEST and KNOWLEDGEABLE transmission shop. If they say you need a new torque converter, find another shop. Unless you are sure of the shop, get a second and third opinion.

Jennifer Fradella

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's a bit of information on the Internet about this code. It's transmission related and often can be fixed without a huge expense or rebuilding. Find an HONEST and KNOWLEDGEABLE transmission shop. If they say you need a new torque converter, find another shop. Unless you are sure of the shop, get a second and third opinion.
Thank you.

It does nothing out of the ordinary if and when the green wrench wants to appear. It’s mainly happened while in cruise control on the interstate at around 60-65mph after having drive for about 45 min to an hour.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like the TCC alright. That's a situation where it would definitely want to lock up, and apparently it can't. You'll probably notice a gas mileage decrease (or an increase once you get it fixed.)

Jennifer Fradella

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like the TCC alright. That's a situation where it would definitely want to lock up, and apparently it can't. You'll probably notice a gas mileage decrease (or an increase once you get it fixed.)
What’s TCC? I feel like I have noticed a decrease in gas mileage. What’s involved in fixing this?

Jennifer Fradella

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What’s TCC? I feel like I have noticed a decrease in gas mileage. What’s involved in fixing this?

Torque Converter Clutch? How expensive is that? I just bought this truck about a month ago.

Jennifer Fradella

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Torque Converter Clutch? How expensive is that? I just bought this truck about a month ago.

9cf85c736bcb796cb21f5dbc827a1f6e.jpg

I was able to get this reading while the light was on. No code will come up while the light is off.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep. It’s got a bad solenoid probably, the computer is attempting to close the circuit but it doesn’t appear to close. Also possible it’s a broken wire somewhere, or a bad pin in a connector. That’s about all I can tell you, though.