What to look for when buying a gen3 expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steedracer

Reaction score
I picked up a slight miss under acceleration on the freeway. Explained it to the dealer. He said it was probably a bad coil-pack. He was right...it was.

broncoremy

Reaction score
New to the forum and to the Exped. Just bought an '08 XLT with about 23k miles. It sags just a little but it is noticeable at the shift from 1st to 2nd but no hesitation or sagging anytime else. This happens cold or warm. I will look at the TB as you guys have mentioned.

BritAbroad

Reaction score
Readyto buy 07 EL Limited

We are ready to buy and EL Limited (we have an Explorer but have run out of room with 4 kids & grandparents visiting from UK all the time!) our only hesitation is that it is showing signs of the "infamous" paint bubbling on the rear tailgate (3 or 4 spots).
From lengthy on-line searches, it sounds like re-painting is not a long term solution as the issue just comes back so does anyone know how much a new tailgate incl. paint would be?
Also, vehicle has 65k and is otherwise in great shape interior is immaculate - asking price $23k - good deal? he will potentially take our '04 in part ex, this is a private sale.

Lanky

Reaction score
I am looking to buy an '08 like Dib52 has a pic of. The ones I have looked at that have 60k-70k miles on them are running from $22k to $25k. We would like to find one with all tan seats instead of the gray/tan ones.

Franklie

Reaction score
Near 100k minimum issues to date

The power seat track seems to be missing teeth. it jumps and skips when you move it.
Changed battery and had to deal with tranny programing loss.
After finding solution which I posted here few years ago, all is well.
'07 is a great truck... :worthy:I may never sale it.

D Hook

Reaction score
Wife just bought a 2010 Limited EL and we see the paint bubbling on the tailgate. Will do a search on this site but it sounds like a common problem.

She really like the vehicle though. Dealer fixed quite a few things in their 172 point inspection but missed a few things. Had to have the pump/sender assembly replaced last week. Under warranty though.

seventieslord

Reaction score
Bought a used Eddie Bauer 2010 a week ago. 140k. Terrible paint peeling on the liftgate. Driver's heated seat is not working. Other than that, the thing looks, feels, smells and runs like new!

dmercer3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got work today that Ford denied my claim for corrosion on the tailgate. 2010 EL Limited 97k miles, warranty expires next month.

First Ford, not happy, never had a warranty denied by Toyota, Chevy, GM. Disappointing.

EDIT: After filing a complaint with FORD corporate, the dealer returned my phone call and agreed to split the cost of correcting the corrosion. Not sure Ford even called them, the timing may have been a coincidence. The also gave me the option of returning the vehicle, all in all the dealer turned out to be pretty stand up about it. Glad I am getting to keep the expy, rather than return it.

Last edited:

Franklie

Reaction score
The dealer/ service tech makes all the difference

When warranty issues are up for interpretation it's all comes down to that FoMo's dealers service tech's discretion. I have one local dealer who always denies and overcharges. I have another a few miles away that always takes customers side. My 10 yr old pick up had a paint problem and dealer 2 painted the whole truck for free under warranty..Find a good tech.
FYI: MY 07 Expy has no paint issues. I do try to keep wax on it.