What to replace my OEM radio with......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjstef

Reaction score
I have a thread going in the electrical forum and have found my OEM radio has a short in it killing my battery. I don't need nothing special as i don't listen to much music. Music and driving is not a good combo for me as it makes me sleepy. I listen to talk radio or nothing usually. I am intrigued by the GPS units though as then i would not have to drag my netbook around with me for GPS. Any thoughts????

WHOISMOOTOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
x2 on the pioneer, the answer to your question is in your budget. navigation decks are usually $500+, if thats out of the question then get a deck for around $80 (walmart, autozone, or crutchfield.com <---my favorite) and get a garmin/tom tom for like $100

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have to agree on the Pioneer. You get more "Bang for your buck" but as stated their nav decks do have a steep price tag. The only thing I can say is stay away from ebay when it comes to new decks. If you do not buy the deck from an " AUTHORIZED RETAILER " then you have no warranty. crutchfield.com is a great place to buy, they are a little steep but have great support and are an authorized dealer plus they will usually throw in the harness to conect to the factory wiring.

OP
OP
M

mjstef

Reaction score
Is the Ford Factory NAV any good? I found a few at salvage yards for under 3 bills............

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the Ford Factory NAV any good? I found a few at salvage yards for under 3 bills............

I would check with the Ford parts department to find out if your truck has all of the necessary wiring for the factory nav unit.

I have also heard of people saying that the new tom-tom and garmin gps units are alot better than the factory nav plus those are updateable fairly easy. Most after market nav head units are also easily updateable but not sure about the factory nav.

ExFor

Reaction score
Hi every one...
I agree with the above comments. Since listening music and driving makes sleepy, it is better to choose radio that fetch good signal. I hope you may like it.....:) :)

bigschoh

Reaction score
I want to replace my factory radio with a Indash dvd/cd/radio. Any suggestions, dont want to get too carried away on price but want something decent, and also would like to do the install myself so the easier the better. would like to be able to just swap the wire harness and go? any info?