What type of Caliper Bolt is this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

intelisevil

Reaction score
I finally got around to installing the new rotors and pads on the front of my '03 Expy. I had searched and read posts and viewed videos so I was ready, I even bought a socket set with a 7mm allen socket because I knew I'd need it.

On the passenger side I removed the caliper first (7mm allen head bolts), then unbolted the bracket because that's what everyone said to do. Success, everything went back together just fine.

On to the driver's side. I thought I'd try something different, I removed the bracket and caliper as a unit planning to separate them afterwards. I'm glad I did . . . the caliper bolts are NOT 7mm. It looks like they might be 9mm? The socket set I bought has 8mm (too small) and 10mm (too big) but no 9mm! None of the sae's in the set felt correct either. Beyond this problem I made a positive discovery, you can replace your pads without removing the caliper bolts from the caliper bracket!!!!!

IMG_0764.JPG

Plans for this weekend - Replace thermostat so the engine can finally warm up completely, rear pads and rotors, all 4 sway bar links, front sway bar bushings, rear Belltech 5550 1" sway bar, clean out the rain gutters, chop fire wood. So many projects, so little time before Winter . . .

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you the original owner of the Expy? If not, the previous owner might've replaced the caliper, and that caliper came with new bolts, which might be SAE 3/8" or 7/16" allen.

-Mike

the bus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here are the sizes --

8mm too small
11/32 is 8.73 mm
9mm
3/8 is 9.53mm
10mm too big.

Hope this helps some.

BerndM

Reaction score
I have to replace my front rotors on my 03 EB 4wd very soon also.
I have been putting it off because I have read various posts that the rotors could be and absolute female dog to get off.
Did you have any issues popping them off??
I see you're in Oregon where the weather is more aggressive than down here in SoCal which could make the difficulty factor worse up there.
Thanks

Jacob Sorlie

Reaction score
I have done mine twice now (once for brakes and once for bearings) it is a 9mm allen key. I just bought a cheap set from Harbor Freight that included the 9mm, seems very difficult to find separately.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
NAPA sells it separately

I had to buy one

I ran into the same thing but I thought I had bought a 7mm but cant remember now

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah. Had one rotor that would not come off. When you replace, put some cant seize on the rotor back where it contacts the spindle.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guys don't buy cheap allen or torx sockets, your opening yourself up for a mess of trouble. If you strip out an inside allen or torx and theirs no way to grab the outside of the bolt, it can be real fun trying to get off. Buy better quality tools for your smaller sized fasteners. I've tried the cheap route it don't work. Be cheap on your dates, spend the big money on houses and booze.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Napa does work well. Just stay away from the low grade made in china/India crap. They will make you throw things across your shop.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk