What vehicle did you take your driving test in?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mackenzie Gans

Reaction score
Subaru Outback Limited 5spd...

Failed it first time because I approached a stop sign in neutral and used the parking brake instead of leaving it in gear. Doh!

I took my first driving test in my 1992 Subaru Legacy 5psd, and when going down a hill I upshifted because I was driving the drive the DMV-way on the test. He wrote on my test sheet "Went downhill in neutral!!". The next test I took in an automatic and passed.

Last edited:

04EddyExpy

Reaction score
My mother's navy blue (with the woody graphics on the sides!) 1986 Plymouth Voyager. It was the smallest vehicle we had, for the parallel parking part. Dad drove a full-size Chevy conversion van and we had a 1969 Chevy C-10 farm truck. :)

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1981 VW Rabbit. Stick.
My mom drove a blue one of these before she traded it in for the previously mentioned polished turd ‘86 Jeep Cherokee. The rabbit was a habitual over heater... I would pray to arrive to our destination without having to blast the heat in August to ward off the steam monster from within the engine bay... I hated that car as a child.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was such a gear head in high school that I aced drivers ed and if you did really well in drivers ed, all you had to do was take the vision and written exam. One hour later I had my license. My dad bought a new '74 Impala wagon the day before that. 400 4 bbl V8 and bias ply tires that didn't last too long. Fun!

mpc11

Reaction score
'89 Ford Aerostar. Big blind spots up front kept the test administrator from seeing I failed to yield to a pedestrian.
Did you have to turn off the A/C to make it up any decent sized hill/incline? Haha.