What was best year of 5.4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MasterX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
05+, while some people like to stick in the past with the 2V motors, which i had before as well, the 3V motors just are built better, if you have phaser problems, get the revised phasers from ford and be happy, they fix all the phaser issues... and the 3V engines will shred the 2V in HP, Torque, and efficiency. There is a youtube video that details changing the cam phasers out to the revised versions in like an hour in your back yard, look it up, its fricking simple.

What have i run?
96 Mustang GT 2V 4.6, first year of the 4.6 2V, tons of problems, with cooling, bad flowing heads, undersized runners, all kinda shit. Radiator was also carried over from the 95 5.0 version, and was not able to cool a aluminum 4.6 adequately.
03 Mustang GT 2V 4.6, it was fun, many problems with the 2V fixed with the PI heads, decent power but nothing to write home, meh....
04 Mustang Cobra 4V 4.6, GOWD it was evil, and ran good once i rebuilt it, bought it as salvage. T-Boned in a parking lot though 9 months after the new engine, sold to another cobra dude he pulled my fresh engine for use in his.
07 Mustang GT 4.6L 3V, makes the 03 seem like a rock stuck in pudding, crazy powerfull especially in the 4000-6000 range under WOT, pulls like a monster, good ole VCT. Feels very reminescent of the 04 cobra, just without the blower.
05 Ford Expedition, 3V 5.4 with 4R75, great torque and power, and 210,000 on the clock, no problems other then previous owner poped the tranny, but thats how i got it cheap, and put in a rebuilt trans for 1300 bucks OTD, solid.
09 Ford Expedition, 3V 5.4 with 6 speed, same great torque and power as the 05, but better gearing, and a little more peppy because of it.

Yeah i think i have some modular and 3V experience.....

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m a recent 2V to 3V convert. I must say, so far, the 3V in my 2014 is smooth, quiet, and powerful.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m a recent 2V to 3V convert. I must say, so far, the 3V in my 2014 is smooth, quiet, and powerful.

More power than 2v but not than the 32v in Navigators.

Just had a guy come by in a 08 or so expi 2 days ago. It was doing a little bit of the diesel sound but no too bad yet..
My 03 Navi and all my 4.6s cannot be heard running.
I stay away from the 3v ones.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
05+, while some people like to stick in the past with the 2V motors, which i had before as well, the 3V motors just are built better, if you have phaser problems, get the revised phasers from ford and be happy, they fix all the phaser issues... and the 3V engines will shred the 2V in HP, Torque, and efficiency. There is a youtube video that details changing the cam phasers out to the revised versions in like an hour in your back yard, look it up, its fricking simple.

What have i run?
96 Mustang GT 2V 4.6, first year of the 4.6 2V, tons of problems, with cooling, bad flowing heads, undersized runners, all kinda shit. Radiator was also carried over from the 95 5.0 version, and was not able to cool a aluminum 4.6 adequately.
03 Mustang GT 2V 4.6, it was fun, many problems with the 2V fixed with the PI heads, decent power but nothing to write home, meh....
04 Mustang Cobra 4V 4.6, GOWD it was evil, and ran good once i rebuilt it, bought it as salvage. T-Boned in a parking lot though 9 months after the new engine, sold to another cobra dude he pulled my fresh engine for use in his.
07 Mustang GT 4.6L 3V, makes the 03 seem like a rock stuck in pudding, crazy powerfull especially in the 4000-6000 range under WOT, pulls like a monster, good ole VCT. Feels very reminescent of the 04 cobra, just without the blower.
05 Ford Expedition, 3V 5.4 with 4R75, great torque and power, and 210,000 on the clock, no problems other then previous owner poped the tranny, but thats how i got it cheap, and put in a rebuilt trans for 1300 bucks OTD, solid.
09 Ford Expedition, 3V 5.4 with 6 speed, same great torque and power as the 05, but better gearing, and a little more peppy because of it.

Yeah i think i have some modular and 3V experience.....

Just almost always going to be more money to keep a 3v running in the long haul vs a 2v.
You may luck out here or there and you may have bad luck with a2v but do it 200 times and the numbers don't lie.

I understand that some people will not consider older cars.
I get a kick out of old but near perfect condition ones and would much rather have a pristine 2000 than an average or even pristine 2014.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More power than 2v but not than the 32v in Navigators.

Just had a guy come by in a 08 or so expi 2 days ago. It was doing a little bit of the diesel sound but no too bad yet..
My 03 Navi and all my 4.6s cannot be heard running.
I stay away from the 3v ones.

The 5.4L 3V is more powerful than the 32V engine in the older Navigators thanks to the variable cam timing.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 5.4L 3V is more powerful than the 32V engine in the Navigators thanks to the variable cam timing. 365 lb ft of torque on the 3 valve vs only 355 lb ft for the 32V.

Yes by a little bit...not sure which one feels more powerful with weight and trans and gearing though.
The 03-04 Navigators are very peppy and people call them hot rod lincolns.

Compared to a 2v, like the other poster did, the 3v is way more powerful but compared to the 32v, not much difference.

The hp is the same. Torque is 10 more for the 3v.

Last edited:

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve got a 2v in my 08 Utility Van that has 120,000 super hard miles on it. She weighs in at just under 10,000 lbs. and has carried that weight since I brought her home from the dealer brand new. I change the oil religiously but also run the snot out of it religiously..... I’ve got a extremely heavy foot. So far it’s been an amazingly tough engine and always gets it done. It’s got 4.10 gears also so it knows RPM’s. Not sure a 3v would hold up to the torture as well. I don’t think Ford even offered the 3v in a E350 Super Duty.....2v tough!57BA8794-5B1C-4ADA-858B-D8B25D895F78.jpeg

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I didn’t want a pickup I’d take her off your hands. Already have 2 SUV’s.
She’s a beauty!
It is a very nice vehicle and being a 2003 makes it kind of unbelievably nice. It's not perfect and needs a few little things address but just to find one that looks that decent with near-perfect carpet, seats, no rust. Is hard to do.