What wheels and tires for sand?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobvance2005

Reaction score
I have a 2021 XLT Max FX4 on order. Picking it up soon (I hope). I plan on doing a good bit of driving on the beach, including deep soft stuff for miles. I'll probably do the readylift 3/2.

Obviously I'll air down a lot (15-20psi) for the sand driving, but what's my best option for tires? I understand I want enough sidewall for the rubber to deform and spread out. Are 18s fine, or should I go with 17" wheels and shoot for 33-34" tire? Will I need any offset? I'll also be doing a good deal of highway driving to and from the beach, so want to keep it reasonable.

Thanks!

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The secret to sand is airing down and momentum. Stay away from aggressive mud style tires. They seem to dig in and not float unless you have a lot of HP. When I had my Raptor I found the BFG KO2’s did the best in the sand dunes compared to my buddy’s with the Toyo’s and Generals. I would also invest in a set of Maxtraxs to get yourself unstuck. Wheel size is kinda tricky. I personally would not go with anything less than a +18 offset. I have +12’s and they look cool but stick to far out. Finding a wheel you like will more than likely force you into a wheel size as the choices are limited. I like the look of the stock FX4 wheels and you can add a wheel spacer to push them out a little if needed. Sounds like a lot of fun to be had in your Expy. Welcome to the forum.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2021 XLT Max FX4 on order. Picking it up soon (I hope). I plan on doing a good bit of driving on the beach, including deep soft stuff for miles. I'll probably do the readylift 3/2.

Obviously I'll air down a lot (15-20psi) for the sand driving, but what's my best option for tires? I understand I want enough sidewall for the rubber to deform and spread out. Are 18s fine, or should I go with 17" wheels and shoot for 33-34" tire? Will I need any offset? I'll also be doing a good deal of highway driving to and from the beach, so want to keep it reasonable.

Thanks!
I'd take a run down to Nauset Beach and see what those folks are using. I'm thinking 10psi with bead locks

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thinking about it for a minute. Sand tire/wheels are like snow tire/wheels. No tire does everything well there is always a trade off. Like snow tires. Blizzak is probably the best made, but are a dedicated snow/cold weather tire. If your going to be on the beach constantly
Go for a tire wheel combo that really affords a large foot print. Buy some wheels that are made for beach use 'cause your going to use them up after a few seasons. In other words two sets of tires and wheels and swap them out.

Reaction score
I had my 2021 out on Assateague island with the stock tires on 18" rims, and I had no problems aired down to 20lbs going from one end to the other. And the sand was soft and deep...

OP
OP
B

bobvance2005

Reaction score
Just for anyone stumbling on this thread - I ended up doing a beach trip on Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws, size 275/70R18, on the stock FX4 wheels. I had intended to be on Toyo Open Country AT3s on Method 705 wheels, size 285/75R17, but shipping got delayed.

I ran the Falken's (mine are E-rated, so stiffer sidewalls) at 15psi. Had no problems all week (in plenty of soft/deep sand). Saw a bunch of other vehicles getting stuck.