Whats difference between 2018 Max and EL?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A local dealer is getting me a 2018 Expedition EL and I'm just making sure there isn't something different between the EL and the Max?

Are there any differences? I'm obviously familiar with the Max, but the EL kinda throws me for a loop. Just want to be sure this vehicle isn't different than a Max!

Thanks

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He is likely mistaken as they dropped the EL moniker for 18 and put the Max on them.
Max was the EL in Canada years prior. Now they are all Max.
I prefer EL to Max. Makes me think of that hideous Malibu Maxx of the early 2000s.

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A local dealer is getting me a 2018 Expedition EL and I'm just making sure there isn't something different between the EL and the Max?

Are there any differences? I'm obviously familiar with the Max, but the EL kinda throws me for a loop. Just want to be sure this vehicle isn't different than a Max!

Thanks

There is no such thing as a 4th gen EL. The EL was the extended wheelbase for the 1st-3rd generations and was renamed to MAX for the 4th gen.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some of the documentation still calls it an "EL", but it's little things, like the roadside assistance card and the towing guide...

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The invoice sheet from the dealer calls it an EL. I called dealer and they said they made some early EL's and then renamed them all as Max after that. His literature shows both names for 2018.....

Thanks guys!

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some of the documentation still calls it an "EL", but it's little things, like the roadside assistance card and the towing guide...

The invoice sheet from the dealer calls it an EL. I called dealer and they said they made some early EL's and then renamed them all as Max after that. His literature shows both names for 2018.....

Thanks guys!

Blow me down, that's silly!

The chief engineer of the Expy said that pretty much verbatim. I guess someone didn't catch those particular misprints.
Thanks for the new info.

emil_greus

Reaction score
In case helps - for some countries EL is still a common name for the MAX variant.
Please find below a picture with a 2019 model (exported in Middle East) - in all documents is mentioned EL, including the rear badge on the car

IMG-20191216-WA0009.jpg

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In case helps - for some countries EL is still a common name for the MAX variant.
Please find below a picture with a 2019 model (exported in Middle East) - in all documents is mentioned EL, including the rear badge on the car

View attachment 33771

When I bought my 18 in Feb of ‘18, a lot of my paperwork still said “EL” instead of “Max” as well.