What's the best cops to buy??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

designit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a scanner but my check engine light won't stay on so I can't check it with that. Is there another way to see which one is bad without paying someone to hook it up.

hey...

CEL isn't needed to detect misfire... Clear everything out & run the "misfire" part of the "ford drive cycle"... It's all over google & I'm pretty sure it's been discussed in here somewhere... It's 1 single cut sheet, printable so you can run them all if you want... (Evap will take you about, umm forever, so don't worry about that one.)

The misfire test is something along the lines of: (do the following three times in a row, then check for codes) -- it helps to get on a freeway between onramps / offramps to do this.

1. from stop position: gas it up to 65mph (doesn't hurt to get on it a little here)

2. once @ 65mph, foot off gas & coast from 65 to 40 (do not brake here)

3. brake to stop.

the speeds above may be off a little... I can't remember... But just google it - "ford drive cycle"...

* you can just leave your scanner hooked up when doing these tests.

Last edited:

Kevo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I myself am a gm guy to. Bow tie all the way but my wife wanted a bigger vehicle and this is what she choose. Now I'm stuck with the headache. Never in my life had this kinda problem out of a Chevy but I've never had to work on one this new either. I like carbirators myself. SOOOOOOO MUCH EASIER TO WORK ON. but seriously though this thing is confusing as all get out because of the way it ran b4 I changed the plugs and cops

well ive owned a few gm trucks and cars from the same vintage and they have theyre own clusterf*ck of problems. as for COP's i would get MSD's or motorcraft i have never once had a factory part or an MSD product fail i have had bad experiences with Accel and some of the aftermarket brands also you may want to clean the connectors with electrical connector cleaner or brakekleen or even just some alcohol. then lube the seal with die-electric grease and make sure then reconnect them firmly.

OP
OP
T

Tommy695

Reaction score
hey...

CEL isn't needed to detect misfire... Clear everything out & run the "misfire" part of the "ford drive cycle"... It's all over google & I'm pretty sure it's been discussed in here somewhere... It's 1 single cut sheet, printable so you can run them all if you want... (Evap will take you about, umm forever, so don't worry about that one.).

Yea I looked it up today. Gonna try it this weekend. Gonna to busy to do much of anything till Saturday. I hope I can figure it out soon because I do like expy just a little hard to understand how a simple tune up turned into a massive headache.

OP
OP
T

Tommy695

Reaction score
mine came from ebay... store was global automotive.... have been good for almost 2 yrs now

I no this is a little off the subject but I gotta say man your expy looks good. I like what you did with the color on there.

clok1966

Reaction score
well ive owned a few gm trucks and cars from the same vintage and they have theyre own clusterf*ck of problems. as for COP's i would get MSD's or motorcraft i have never once had a factory part or an MSD product fail i have had bad experiences with Accel and some of the aftermarket brands also you may want to clean the connectors with electrical connector cleaner or brakekleen or even just some alcohol. then lube the seal with die-electric grease and make sure then reconnect them firmly.
yes sorry my comment was not to say one or the other was better , but more to say I know GM's and the Ford was new to me.. and hoe a problem can really ruin your perception (especialy a hasty made one).. I have owned a couple of mustangs, Couger, Explorer, Tracer (mazda really), tempo (awsome mileage!!!) and about every other make. I have nothing bad to say about any of my Fords except he early Mustangs.. had a 65 and 69 fastback.. the 65 was an econo car in every respect (striaght 6 and 3 speed).. hated that car.. the 69 looked awsome and had the 429... but i must have had a dud.. that 429 was .. just sad.. even geared my 61 impala with a 70- chevy 400 small block in it would beat it.. one dud does not make a car company...

as a GM guy .. i wont say anything bad about the fords i have owned (except the stangs).. not much fun changing the plugs on the NEW expy.. but eh.. what car (as stated) doesnt have its quirks..

good luck with your miss..keep us informed.

2000ttownexpy

Reaction score
I had a friend check the compression, fuel pressure, and even the oil pressure while he was at it and it all came back good. So the only thing I can think of is the coil packs that I have aren't cutting it because it ran good for a few days and now it ain't and I've gite more than one cylinder skipping now and at times it's a dead skip for a few minutes. So my question is should I just buy factory ford cops or the accel cops or any other ones that are good.

I can tell you what to stay away from LOL.... ordered granatelli coil packs from jegs as a set to just replace all 8... every single one of the granatellis that I bought failed within 5k miles... stay away LOL

Those were the cheaper granatelli cops... don't know if the more expensive ones are better...

DevonD

Reaction score
I have purchased many different coils and the accel coils seem to be the best I think. I have purchased many different brands from part stores and they are junk again within a year. Once I stuck an accel in I haven't had a problem since...the warranty on them isn't as long as others, but it's funny because they have outlasted any other coil I have used and they are cheaper.

OP
OP
T

Tommy695

Reaction score
I have purchased many different coils and the accel coils seem to be the best I think. I have purchased many different brands from part stores and they are junk again within a year. Once I stuck an accel in I haven't had a problem since...the warranty on them isn't as long as others, but it's funny because they have outlasted any other coil I have used and they are cheaper.

I have heard nothin but good things about the accel but I wanted to ask b4 I spent another 300$ on coils again. I think I'm just gonna try to use what I have for now I just have to find the one that's missing. I changed a few of them around today and it ran good for about 15 minutes and started all over again. And it keeps showing #4 misfire. I don't what else to do to that plug. I've changed the cop three or four times and the plug twice and even swapped the plug and cop with another hole and it keeps showin that one missing. Unless I'm getting a false reading some how. Really frustrating the crap out of me.

designit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've changed the cop three or four times and the plug twice and even swapped the plug and cop with another hole and it keeps showin that one missing.

(Just talking jiberish outloud here)

You're wiping that P0304 code out, right?

Did you swap 1 & 4 injector?

Your wires @ the injector aren't crossed up are they - I don't think they're long enough to cross 3 & 4 but who knows & I assume that would give you 303 and 304 codes?

OP
OP
T

Tommy695

Reaction score
(Just talking jiberish outloud here)

You're wiping that P0304 code out, right?

Did you swap 1 & 4 injector?

Your wires @ the injector aren't crossed up are they - I don't think they're long enough to cross 3 & 4 but who knows & I assume that would give you 303 and 304 codes?

Yes I clear the code every time it comes up and I didn't swap the injectors I just replaced the one at #4 cylinder. And no the wires aren't long enough to cross up