wheel play

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigwill

Reaction score
How much play should your wheel have from side to side when lifted? I know up and down should have no play at all. Also how much stress does having rims on effect the front end system. Lately it have felt I have been riding on ice a very shakey ride.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
You should have no play side to side either. Sounds like your tie rod ends are shot and you need to get new ones. You can eliminate the upper and lower ball joints if you are getting no movement up and down. So, that really only leaves the tie rods. Easy job.

OP
OP
B

Bigwill

Reaction score
I just changed that about two years ago how long do they hold up for and I don't drive a lot. I wonder if having bigger and heavier wheels play a part in it.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Bigwill, first off, I would tell you to get a friend and have one of your move the tire as the other watches for where the play is. That is probably the best thing before you just start replacing parts "just because".

As for the bigger tires affecting things, by all means it can. The bigger tires put more stress on the components and if a lot of those miles were in adverse road conditions, that only makes the situation all the worse. part of it could simply be you got a bad tie rod end and it failed early. Hard to say. See what is moving on you and then go from there.