Wheels and Tires- 2010 Expy EL Ltd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yamfanboi827

Reaction score
Everyone,

My 3rd gen (2010) expy is in need of new wheels. I believe all four are bent, stemming from 185k miles of driving over whatever the hell I want. I say that in gest, but its consistently lightly off roaded two or three times every summer, It gets into the snow yearly, and i'm just looking for anything I can do to make it slightly more capable for whatever I need. It's also driven up steep dirt inclines on job sites pretty regularly, although that doesn't really throw it that much abuse overall.

It has the stock 20's on it now, but I'd like to go smaller with a beefier tire. Any ideas? I'm looking for black rims. The truck is white.

Also, if I drop a size in the wheel, from the 20's to 18's, do I have to mess with the speedometer calibration? Is this an issue?

Any recommendations help. Thanks, all!

-J

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Everyone,

My 3rd gen (2010) expy is in need of new wheels. I believe all four are bent, stemming from 185k miles of driving over whatever the hell I want. I say that in gest, but its consistently lightly off roaded two or three times every summer, It gets into the snow yearly, and i'm just looking for anything I can do to make it slightly more capable for whatever I need. It's also driven up steep dirt inclines on job sites pretty regularly, although that doesn't really throw it that much abuse overall.

It has the stock 20's on it now, but I'd like to go smaller with a beefier tire. Any ideas? I'm looking for black rims. The truck is white.

Also, if I drop a size in the wheel, from the 20's to 18's, do I have to mess with the speedometer calibration? Is this an issue?

-J

the rim size won’t be what alters your Speedo calibration, the overall diameter change is what will matter. Since you’re planning on adding beefier (bigger?) tires, I’d assume you’ll need to adjust. I went from stock tires to 34.3” diameter (same 18” rims) and have an 8% drop in speedo reading (used to read 52mph, now 48 mph when clocked at GPS speed).

OP
OP
Y

yamfanboi827

Reaction score
Ok, I'll keep that in mind. For the moment, I'm going to be keeping my existing tires. They're still good. So overall Diameter will be the same.

1970Maverick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Everyone,

-J

here's are two good sites that will calculate the differences in speedo vs tire size

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/top