Wheels/Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheCarsonFam

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2018 XLT and I am looking to upgrade my wheels and tires. Currently considering the platinum replicas. Wheel wise, I know for sure I want something machined/milled to get the "two-toned" look to compliment my chrome accents. Tire wise, I prefer the truck tire look, but would also like the smoothest/most quiet ride, and from what I've read, that may not be an option. Haha Currently I have the stock 18s with the Hankook Dynapro HT. I live in Florida so rain is really my only weather obstacle.

If I do go with the 22s, everything I've read has said 285/45R22. Does that sound correct? Looking to fill my wheel well without rubbing/trimming/lifting (it's still under warranty, so stock it is...for now). I am open to ideas/suggestions on wheels, size, tires...ect. This is my first time doing anything "after market" to a vehicle, so I am finding it hard to commit with SO many options out there.

My Girl.jpg Plat Wheels.jpg

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe you will have a much harsher ride if you go with the 22in wheels. Someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong, but, stock 22s = CCD suspension, basically because it is a requirement with that small of a sidewall.

I wouldn't go past 18s of it were me. I'd also consider some aftermarket shocks on an xlt, too.
Bilstein's are nice.

Tires are up to you... In my experience, this kind of vehicle and any 4x4 pickup truck benefit greatly from a high quality AT tire. That is the PA talking in me, but, there are loads of options AT tire wise that would suit. If you have more of a pavement princes 2x4 and worst weather you get in FL would be torrential rain, non-AT tires might work ok/ride quieter.
YMMV! Happy hunting... Post up some pics of what you eventually go with!
[emoji106] [emoji41]

Gillbrak

Reaction score
0f9a2096ab7b129cd6f19304951425f7.jpg
2183cb2b86f489a438955258325b3ca2.jpg

We’re running 305/45r22 on +30mm. All stock suspension, no spacers and no rubbing. It has CCD and I didn’t notice a difference in ride quality over the factory 22s. I’ve got our factory Platinums with tires if anyone wants to buy. Located in Denver area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 22’s I would just look for stock ones. Lots of platinum owners dumping the 22’s for smaller wheels.
As for tire I’ve run everything from KO2’s to Michelins on my trucks. My all time top favorite right now is a hybrid tread / tire by BFG. Its called the BFG Advantage sport T/A. Its more than a comfort tire harder rubber compound, more aggressive tread. But not a full on heavy off road tread. My two prior cars didn’t take a mileage hit with them unlike the heavier off road tires I’ve ran. They held up well on dirt road use, hot heavy summer trips and did decent in big Sierra snow. As soon as my 22’s on the Expedition are done the BFG Advantage Sport T/A will go on it. So far I’m thinking I’ll keep the 22’s but I have seriously thought about moving to a 20 inch wheel to get just a little more tire under it.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
“Lots of platinum owners dumping the 22’s for smaller wheels”? Really? I don’t recall seeing a flood of Platinum wheels around...

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
“Lots of platinum owners dumping the 22’s for smaller wheels”? Really? I don’t recall seeing a flood of Platinum wheels around...

You should check Facebook Marketplace. When I was trying to get a price for my 22” stealth wheels, I saw a lot of 22” wheels. Maybe not Expedition 22’s, but Ford 22’s in general were quite plentiful. Easily 10-15 were on sale about a month ago around my area.

I personally moved from the stock 22’s to 18’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk