When to turn rotors or replace?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doing the front struts and stab links today. Saw that my brake pads are quite worn on the front. A brake job will be required soon. Might as well do it now while everything is apart and I've spent two Saturdays in a row on this thing.

Noticed that the rotors' surfaces are far from smooth. While the rears were smooth, these have an undulating surface, in the sense of grooves that are rounded, not sharp. So, if I replace pads, I assume I'll be wearing those grooves into the pad. Plus, the surface contact of the pad to grooved rotor will not be as it should be. Does this mean it's rotor replacement time or getting them turned?

OP
OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For the sake of time, I might just leave them as the braking is good. Then, I'd get them turned when I can have that lined up and done.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they are worn down and have grooves I’d get the replacements. RockAuto is very cheap for good MotorCraft rotors and you’ll have them within a few days....I replaced all my rotors and pads with Motorcraft and powerstop pads from RockAuto....was relatively inexpensive.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have rotors turned once and replace unless there is clearly something wrong with the rotor.
I do it when I need pads unless there is some sort of issue but the pads are good.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The problem with cutting rotors or drums is heat. A thinner rotor, even though it's thick enough by Ford standards, will build up more heat, causing pads to fade sooner. Brake pads/rotors are a funny item. They need heat to operate at their maximum, but then after that point , braking starts to diminish. Because of the weight and hauling capacity of the vehicles, pop on a new set. Unless you have a brake lathe yourself, cutting rotors is close to $20.00 each. Not really worth it, when replacements aren't much more.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's becoming a dieing thing. Most vehicles made in the past 20 years or more have rotors that are just too thin. Back in 90's I worked at a VW dealership. We had a brake lathe in the back, but never fired it up. Whenever a customer's vehicle had a worn/grooved rotor, we sold them a new one. Even back in 94, the rotors were not thick enough. That and dealers wouldn't take a chance on anything involving brakes. Can't blame them, with lawyers just waiting to pounce on anything involving a lawsuit because of an accident. I guess maybe in the 70,s, 80,s the drums and rotors on Volkswagens were thicker, and they cut them. These days, machining is getting less and less. Even jobs like rebuilding cylinder heads is going away. More people buy new heads, and just slap them on, usually with a big bump in power.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The problem with cutting rotors or drums is heat. A thinner rotor, even though it's thick enough by Ford standards, will build up more heat, causing pads to fade sooner. Brake pads/rotors are a funny item. They need heat to operate at their maximum, but then after that point , braking starts to diminish. Because of the weight and hauling capacity of the vehicles, pop on a new set. Unless you have a brake lathe yourself, cutting rotors is close to $20.00 each. Not really worth it, when replacements aren't much more.

This. ^

I replace mine every time I do the pads. I paid $90 for a pair of coated-edge AC Delcos for the rear vs the $40 I would have paid to have them turned. For the fronts, I paid $48 for a set of the same. (That was just some sort of Amazon price error I think though, as they are normally ~$110 a set and went back up less than 24h after I bought them.)

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He is, but like a 60's ******* centerfold, he's covered up!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69