110k km and no brake replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I'm at 110k km and haven't replaced pads or rotors on my '19. Based on what I'm reading on this forum it's clearly time for the job. Yes...it still stops!

I'm baffled as to why some are wearing so quickly or mine lasting this long.

I see people doing pads only, some vehicles claim to be pads and rotors due to rotor wear. Do we know the service thickness for the rotors? Thickness when new?

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm 99% sure that driving style explains the wear differences between vehicles for brakes. You and I obviously try to avoid hard stopping. Others seem to think big SUVs should handle exactly like sports cars and drive them as such.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2012 that I bought with 100k miles. It now has 180k and the only thing done brake-wise is the front rotors have been turned once. Still on the same brake pads I bought it with.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think driving style has a lot to do with it. Just had mine in for service (that's another story) at 55,500 miles and I thought they'd get me for brakes, but I'm still good. Getting low, but might be good for another 20K. I'll be looking at tires pretty soon though. For the record, I don't tow or use adaptive cruise, which also wears on brakes.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm at 110k km and haven't replaced pads or rotors on my '19. Based on what I'm reading on this forum it's clearly time for the job. Yes...it still stops!

I'm baffled as to why some are wearing so quickly or mine lasting this long.

I see people doing pads only, some vehicles claim to be pads and rotors due to rotor wear. Do we know the service thickness for the rotors? Thickness when new?
That's 68k miles. Lots of things affect brake wear and there are lots of opinions on when to replace pads relative to thickness, etc.. I helped my neighbor replace his for the first time on his 2019 MAX at 81k miles (130k km). At that time, he had less than 1/16" (1.5 mm) of pad left on the rear pads and 1/4" (6.4mm) left on the front. My '20 is probably wearing very similar to his. At 45k miles, I estimate that the rears will be down to 3/16" (4.7 mm) by 55K - 60K mi (~92k km), at which time I'll replace them. The fronts may go as far as 90K miles (145k km) + before they are down to 3/16" (4.7 mm) if they continue to wear the same. I don't have any issue with warping, nor did my neighbor. I'll probably have the rotors turned if they're within service thickness and still flat.

One thing to be aware of: My neighbor and I live in NC and our vehicles are garaged. None-the-less, all 4 rotors were mildly corroded onto the hubs of both of our vehicles (I checked and freed mine without doing the brakes at the next tire rotation). I'm thinking you might have an even worse situation in Alberta. Be prepared with the proper solvents and tools to free the rotors and buy some good nickel anti-seize before doing the job.

If you haven't already replaced shocks, check for leakage. If you've done any off-roading, I would personally be shocked (yes, I went there) if the rears aren't leaking. Many on this forum did as I did and replaced them with Bilstein 5100's.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also, where you live plays a lot into it. I live in the Dallas area, and we hop on Interstates or highways to go just about anywhere. You can easily drive 20 miles without ever touching your brakes. When I lived in Cleveland, I'd only get on the highways for a few miles, but I had several miles to get to them or anywhere and it was all stop signs and stop lights. It's much easier to put more miles on your vehicles here with little brake wear compared to Cleveland.

OP
OP
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, good to know others are getting there. Too...sleeping children also helps keep you from getting onto the pedal too hard.

PhoenixRizez

Reaction score
I'm 99% sure that driving style explains the wear differences between vehicles for brakes. You and I obviously try to avoid hard stopping. Others seem to think big SUVs should handle exactly like sports cars and drive them as such.
Wait, what?

You mean my Expy isn’t just a bigger version of my old Corvette??? ️

Hmmm, I guess that means I’ll be changing the brakes at 20k miles…