Where did the sand come from?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LBernard

Reaction score
I just purchased a 01 Expo. Today on the way home it started running real bad and losing power like it was out of Gas.
Took off the fuel filter(one hell of a job). When I emptied out the inlet side it looked like chocolate milk. So I changed it Expo still ran like crap, so I then removed the Fuel injectors and they were all full of gunk (kinda look like clay or sand). My questiion is where would this come from other than bad gas sitting in the tank while it was on the lot? (By the way I had access to a Gynesis diagnostic tool thats what led me to the fuel injectors), \

Help please.

BryanRivera

Reaction score
Did it overheat at any moment?

Check the radiator cap, look for the same gunk you described on the injectors, you may or may not find the same thing, if you do it confirms my diagnosis... It sounds to me like your head gasket is blown. Hence the question, did the vehicle overheat at any given moment. Check also the Thermostat. I would suggest to change it anyway...

Another possibility is that your gas tank has water in it... unlikely but only god knows...

Hope this helps and also hope that it's not the head gasket what's causing your problem.

Bryan

OP
OP
L

LBernard

Reaction score
The sand was on the inlet side of the injectors.

Checked inside radiator bottle all is clean on the inside, also the operating temp. is correct.

I will be dropping tank tomorrow, I will be changing out fuel level sensor and and the fuel pump.

I will let u know the outcome

Thanks, Larry