Where do I start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

forwardtrends

Reaction score
I've got a 98 EB 5.4 4WD with around 165K on it.

I've replaced the starter twice the entire front end, cap and rotor, plugs and wires, a front caliper, and some other small stuff.

Shortly after I bought the truck it has "ticked" slightly at idle - sounds like coming from the tourque converter or somewhere in that area. Recently I get the familiar check engine light and slowly notice the truck running more sluggishly, shifting weird ecspecially up hills, and starts very slowly in cold weather. The mechanic said the light was probably caused by a PCV vacuum hose but I havent had a chance to get it replaced. I keep wondering if there is a cylinder missing or something (Bosch plugs)

When it is in park and I hit the gas it soulds like there is no air getting in and it takes a few seconds to reach high rpms - scary when merging onto the highway lately. I did the usually fuel injector cleaner and crossed fingers with no luck. I removed my air box and did the old "stick your hand in front of it and see if any air is going in" and you can't even feel a slight breeze.

Could this be the problem and what would cause the air intake to feel plugged like that? (Air filter is new). I'm going to have the tanny pro flushed , the PCV vacuum replaced, and the plugs and wires changed but does anyone have any other pointers I could check out before taking it to the dealer?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

geeserteg

Reaction score
Hmm.. well from what you mentioned it sounds more like an emmisions problem. In other words you may have a CAT starting to clog or something restricting exiting airflow. However I would think that would throw up an EGR code. What was the code when the CEL came on? It seems you have covered the basics so it may be time to goto the stealership.

SONGDOC

Reaction score
i am having the same problem with my 2000 5.7 liter.
when climbing the smallest of hills at low rpm, i get this shuttering til i kick it into passing gear. it also has no pep at all.
i have tracked it down to a couple things:
1) egr valve. all of my symptoms coinside with this as well.
2) plugs. i am getting a code for missfire in cylinder 8.
i am changing these this weekend. i will let youo know.
tell me what you find out, or if this is even remotely what you are experiencing.

great forum guys.
T.W.