Where is the plug for a 3rd party trailer brake controller?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jastevenson

Reaction score
I have a connector designed to plug directly into the Expy’s trailer brake controller, but for the life of me I can’t seem to find where it plugs in! I looked under the dash and found the OBD port, and A few inches to the right of it is a green led lamp for ambient lighting. But no TBC plug!

I have the 2019 Expy without the tow package. Any tips? Thanks!!!

tspAVaT.jpg

Last edited:

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is plugged to the coin cubby where the OEM TBC should go.

OP
OP
J

jastevenson

Reaction score
Doh, I figured it would be easily accessible. Well, I managed to get the plug out and connect it, but the TBC won’t turn on!

Anyone have that issue? On the video, some F-150s do not have power to the trailer brake plug by default, and it is major surgery on the vehicle to fix it. I sincerely hope they didn’t do that with the Expy!

Was anyone successful getting their controller to work by just plugging in the controller to the plug?

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doh, I figured it would be easily accessible. Well, I managed to get the plug out and connect it, but the TBC won’t turn on!

Anyone have that issue? On the video, some F-150s do not have power to the trailer brake plug by default, and it is major surgery on the vehicle to fix it. I sincerely hope they didn’t do that with the Expy!

Was anyone successful getting their controller to work by just plugging in the controller to the plug?

Jay...I'm not familiar with any Ford-specific issues, but I know my Tek P3 powered right-up on my '05 F-150, my wife's '16 Honda Pilot and my '07 Chevy 2500HD. I think I had it on one other vehicle, but I can't remember which one. Anyway, it would really suck if connecting to that pre-made, under-dash connector didn't also have 12V power to it. Might want a multimeter to see if you can find 12V anywhere in that source dash connector.

One thing that might be possible is there isn't any voltage delivered to that connector until a trailer is actually attached to the vehicle. For some time, some of these TBC's didn't have a timeout / sleep function and would kill the battery of the tow vehicle ...just sitting in the driveway. That Tek P3 you got does have an auto-shutoff feature, but I gotta wonder if some automotive manufacturers put in some sort of a fail-safe to not power the TBC wiring until something is actually plugged-into the 7-pin or 4-pin receptacle.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Assuming it is the OEM switch you installed, you will need to activate the controller itself and the trailer brake gain function. You will need either Forscan, Ford IDS, or a trip to a someone who has the ability to activate them (dealer, shop, or friend).

Thomas Warden

Reaction score
I installed the Ford OEM Trailer Brake. The plug was right behind the slot where the brake actuator goes . There are several videos on line showing installation and location of the plug/harness. HOWEVER, I did have to take it to my Ford Dealer to activate it. When activated, all info comes up on your dashboard display.

dj2big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I installed the Ford OEM Trailer Brake. The plug was right behind the slot where the brake actuator goes . There are several videos on line showing installation and location of the plug/harness. HOWEVER, I did have to take it to my Ford Dealer to activate it. When activated, all info comes up on your dashboard display.

Do you have the part list and link to the videos and what are the instructions to give to the dealer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk